Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
siscokid7

Hard to get carb!!

10 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any tips/tricks for working on the carb of an 08 yz450? I installed an MSR fuel screw and my fingers look like a monkey paw! Now I gotta rejet for the weather and I am not looking forward to it. Any suggestions? Also I tried turning it sideways off the intake boot but the motor mounts prevent it from spinning more than an inch.

The motor mounts need to come off if you want to rotate the carb. It's not that hard.

If you want to remove the carb, remove the sub frame first, then unbolt the shock (that sounds like a lot of work, but it's not that hard either). A very helpful tip for reassembly is to take the air box off the sub frame (4 bolts) and clamp it onto the carb first. Then install the shock, then the sub. Tremendous reduction in the hassle factor.

But just for jetting, you can leave everything right where it is. As long as the needle jet stays screwed into the carb, everything will be OK.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=556427

I bought one of them a while back. Did you find that the rubber didn't stay on the thumb wheel?

Yep, I have the motion pro one, and the rubber fell off first use. Still gets the job done, but it does annoy me.

Yep, I have the motion pro one, and the rubber fell off first use. Still gets the job done, but it does annoy me.

I ground 6 half round notches into the OD of the wheel so it has flutes in it, makes it easier to get a grip on. :thumbsup: