How to test stator on my YZ426f

I hope someone can help me I have a 02 yz426f I just replaced the top end with a wiseco hi comp piston and took it into the shop to have the valves adjusted and now it won't start they said they had it running at the shop but that my stator is going bad. So before I buy one I want to make sure it is bad. I normally would believe the mechanics but I had to go back twice to the shop on other issues, I just got the feeling they didn't give my bike the attention I thought they would especially for the amount I paid. Before I rebuilt the top end it started fine. Also before I put the new piston in I couldn't kick it without pulling the decomp lever in a little but now I don't even have to pull the lever in does anyone have any help they can give me thanks in advance Jeramie

I hope someone can help me I have a 02 yz426f I just replaced the top end with a wiseco hi comp piston and took it into the shop to have the valves adjusted and now it won't start they said they had it running at the shop but that my stator is going bad. So before I buy one I want to make sure it is bad. I normally would believe the mechanics but I had to go back twice to the shop on other issues, I just got the feeling they didn't give my bike the attention I thought they would especially for the amount I paid. Before I rebuilt the top end it started fine. Also before I put the new piston in I couldn't kick it without pulling the decomp lever in a little but now I don't even have to pull the lever in does anyone have any help they can give me thanks in advance Jeramie

Your stator has nothing to do with the compression. Something is wrong if you can kick a 426 with a high comp piston over w/o the decompression lever pulled. Start with the basics, check the timing, check the valve clearances....

The stator can be tested using the procedure laid out in the service manual. If you don't have one, you can get one at:

http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/community/service/manuals.jsp

However, as 642 pointed out, there's something wrong somewhere with a 426 that you can crank without the compression release, unless you also installed the auto decompression exhaust cam. I see 3 likely possibilities:

> The valve clearance is too tight because an incorrect shim was used and not rechecked.

> The valve clearance is wrong because a shim is cocked in its pocket, and not rechecked.

> The valve timing is wrong. If the shop reshimmed even one valve, that would be their fault. If they just checked them and found them OK, it's your fault, but they should have spotted it.

Thanks for the suggestions. And I do realize that the stator has nothing to do with compression but they told me that my stator was going bad and that was why it won't start. Sorry my bad on how I worded it in my first posting. I am going to have to have it rechecked. Thanks guys for your help.

Jeramie

I just got off the phone with the owners of the shop here in Reno and they have agreed to take a look at it tomorrow:banana: :thumbsup::moon: Now hopefully it gets fixed I will update when we find out what the problem turned out to be. Thanks again