HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stev0

15-44 for dual sporting?

22 posts in this topic

would that be too long for technical bits?

Looking for something that will put me at 70mph @ around 6k rpm.

Currently on 15-50 :thumbsup:

what year bike are we talking...if its an 03-06 than yeah you can run that just fine...on an 07+ that would be pretty tall

yes i have an 06... last of the good bikes :thumbsup:

I was running 70mph yesterday on a gravel road with a stone stock 07 450. Felt like it was right around 6 or 7 k. Can't wait to do all the mods and open this thing up, should roll good, 15-48 would be about as high as I would want to go for dual sporting and riding nice trails :thumbsup:

yes i have an 06...

you will be just fine with 15-45 gearing....

last of the good bikes :moon:

i doubt that...yamahas in general are good bikes....:thumbsup:

I run 15/47 on a 2008 WR450. use the yamaha 15t sprocket, it has a rubber cushion for quiter operation.

To make the 15/47 work I use the primary drive gears from a YFZ450 four wheeler(same ratio as early WR450) the clutch basket has torsional springs to absorb the power stroke hit, makes the engine very smooth!

With a Rekluse clutch and balanced wheels this bike runs down the road very smooth at 65 MPH and will still do single track trails. It's amazing how will this bike works It's better on the road than some road bikes I have owned and it still gets it on in the dirt. I have rode over 300 miles in one day. This 2008 is the third WR450 I have set up this way, I have rode over ten thousand miles on each of the WR450s with no problems.

The new acerbis fuel tank about 3.2gal. cares fuel in the rad. shrouds, works great for air flow/ does not boil the fuel and the engine has never overheated with this tank.

have a great ride

Haskell in Idaho

I'm using he 15t and 48t on my 99 WR. I love it for Highway and it's fine off road, but you have to fan he clutch a little extra amount to get going in the steep stuff. I can hit 90 mph max and 80 feels like your not working the bike too hard. I think that I'm going to stay with this gearing for a while.

To make the 15/47 work I use the primary drive and gears from a YFZ450 four wheeler(same ratio as early WR450) the clutch basket has torsional springs to absorb the power stroke hit, makes the engine very smooth!

you are the only person that I have seen that has done this with the quad clutch basket. I think that is a great idea. I wanted to do that to mine, I bought the set up but never got it in before I hurt myself again and have to quit riding

Im surprized that more people didnt pick up on this idea when you posted it a while ago

Im surprized that more people didnt pick up on this idea when you posted it a while ago

i did but he lost me! more details would be great!

the longest gearing i can get atm is a 45 rear. should make a huge difference from the 50.

i did but he lost me! more details would be great!

Haskell came up with a great idea for the WR450.He installed a clutch basket and primary gear in his bike from the YFZ450 quad.The baskets on those bikes have springs built in to absorb shock to the transmission.So if you ride your WR on the road or want to smooth out the forces going to the fragile transmission gears, just bolt the quad clutch in to the WR. I was told that the older WRs came with them but I never had one apart so I cant say for sure

I bought mine on ebay but never got to put it in , so Im going to relist it.They dont go for all that much

Am i reading this right...YZF450 four wheeler clutch is a cushion drive? if so what parts would I need for this conversion on my 07 WR?

the longest gearing i can get atm is a 45 rear. should make a huge difference from the 50.

Wow! good luck pulling that if you got a stock bike.....

you are the only person that I have seen that has done this with the quad clutch basket. I think that is a great idea.

I'm interested in this too. I have an 04 - 450 but I don't know if this mod applies to mine or exactly which parts are involved. More info please.

Any more info on this clutch mod. If i am reading correctly we are talking about using YZF450 clutch?

Just picked up my WR450F 08 model today, and the dealer says "you're not going to ride it on the road are you?"

Of course i am, why wouldn't i? who would design a bike with such a shit gearbox that it can't handle the frickin road. Seriuosly, if this bike doesn't get through 20k miles on the road without gearbox trouble i'll never buy one again. It's more expensive than any road bike i have every bought!!! and it doesn't do tarmac. is this a real problem with these or just paranoia