What would cause me to lose 16 spokes!!!

Hey guys, on sunday at my last race I lost my 1st place overall:banghead: because I lost 16 spokes! (front wheel) Before this race I just had both of my wheels trued with no rides on it since then. My wheel could almost bend in half (it seemed). So now, would should I do? I ordered new spokes and nipples but do you think the wheels alright? I finished the race with my front wheel lugging around in second so at least that wasnt bad. Do you guys think my wheel will be able to be re-used or should I order a new one? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

PS. By the way, I had spokes that wrapped all around my wheel spacers twice! :thumbsup:

PPS. I have black Excel wheels. blue RAD hubs, blue RAD nipples, RAD spokes

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the spokes may have been too tight causing extra stress and making them snap causing a chain reaction as spokes broke. I remember this being a potential problem with bicycles but I don't know if it is much of one with dirtbikes. I don't know about your rim though.

Sounds to me like they were too tight, that or you got something stuck in them and snapped 16 of them, but this would normally lock up the wheel first (sending you to the ground). If the rim isn't too bent then it should be fine to reuse with new spokes.

Sounds to me like they were too tight, that or you got something stuck in them and snapped 16 of them, but this would normally lock up the wheel first (sending you to the ground). If the rim isn't too bent then it should be fine to reuse with new spokes.

Wow never thought of them being too tight...just a another lesson learned to do things on my own:foul: Thanks for the info!:thumbsup:

Too tight, or, oddly enough, too loose. Either way, I would tend to place the blame at the feet of whoever trued them for you.

Where on the spoke did the failure occur?

You should measure the runout and trueness on the wheel before you install the tire. Also make sure the rim width is constant all around the wheel.

Too tight, or, oddly enough, too loose. Either way, I would tend to place the blame at the feet of whoever trued them for you.

Where on the spoke did the failure occur?

They were all over..a lot of them were broke either inside the nipple or right next to it (above). I also had some spokes that were almost completely unscrewed but were not broken..?- like they just came unscrewed and out of the package. I also had some that were broke right in half and the others ended up like a cork-screw around my wheel spacers...my wheel looks like it was thrown in a garbage disposal.:thumbsup:

this is from too tight and not tight enough meaning the torque was not set to the same spec for each spoke....Whoever trued the whaeel is at fault.

or

someone threw a 2x4 into your wheel as you were moving forward

I vote for option 1

ya know the rad nipples are aluminum and unlike the stock nipples, they seem cheap. If the spokes broke, then they would have been too tight, but if they looked like the threads didnt catch, and you actually lost them, then it may have been the nipple

this is from too tight and not tight enough meaning the torque was not set to the same spec for each spoke....Whoever trued the whaeel is at fault.

or

someone threw a 2x4 into your wheel as you were moving forward

I vote for option 1

Agreed, if it were me, I would take the wheel back to whoever trued it. Any good company can tell if i was defective or if it was indeed their error. Whether they choose to admit it is another story though.

Agreed, if it were me, I would take the wheel back to whoever trued it. Any good company can tell if i was defective or if it was indeed their error. Whether they choose to admit it is another story though.

That's exactly the problem I'm facing...:thumbsup:

Like everyone has said...sounds like the spokes were over tightened

I see you added the fact that they are RAD wheels. With no malice intended, I think that explains some of the problem.

I see you added the fact that they are RAD wheels. With no malice intended, I think that explains some of the problem.

I know what you mean...I've seen the thread on here about RAD wheels failing and such. I get a good deal on wheel combos through Excel so I might have to switch to Talon pretty soon. Thanks for the input everyone!:thumbsup::moon:

I know what you mean...I've seen the thread on here about RAD wheels failing and such. I get a good deal on wheel combos through Excel so I might have to switch to Talon pretty soon. Thanks for the input everyone!:thumbsup::moon:

you wont be disappointed with talon/Excels. I luv this combo