Blown motor on 2005 yz450f is it worth the buy?

Ok I found a 2005 yz450f with a blown motor for a pretty good price. I havent seen the bike, but ive been researching for reasons why this would happen. I found many problems with the cam chain, but that shouldnt lock the motor up. All he said was " I was ripping down this road and it just locked up and slid to a stop. And that there is a crack on the engine mount." So whats some of the reasons why the yzf450 likes to seize? I havent really found any anwsers. Thanks, Im just trying to know what to look for when I look at the bike.

If the bike was neglected, any bike will blow up. If the oil wasn't changed enough, air filter wasn't changed enough, and the bike was run at excessive RPM's for long periods of time it won't last long. Now, the term "i was ripping down the road" says to me he runs wide open down roads for periods of time, so the bike probably experienced the rev limiter for prolong periods of time. That there is a crack at the motor mount says to me the case is broken, which is most likely a broken crank. If the cases are cracked, don't count on anything else inside the engine being good. Figure the engine as an entire loss when deciding price, that way if anything happens to be salvageable it is just a bonus. If the rest of the bike is in good shape I'd pay about $1000 on it, not a whole lot more. That's about all you could get out of it if you wanted to part out the chassis.

I have noticed you can buy bikes cheep on EBAY.?

Look arround some here on thumper classified and also there is some good bike's listed on the SRAC web sight.:moon:

I would look arround on the different area's on Craig's list.:moon:

I will help you look arround if you want, give me a price 500.00-1000.00range and kinda what you are looking for

Keep saving and a good deal will come along.

This is the end of year and racing is over

Also the country is not doing so well.

Look on Ebay for complete motors, you should be able to find one but they are around $1500.

Like mentioned don't count on it being a small problem, if the piston seized it may have had enough time to push trash through the head and ruin the cams and head in a short time.

I wouldn't pay more than $700 bucks for it since you can find one that runs for around $2500.

Ok I found a 2005 yz450f with a blown motor for a pretty good price. I havent seen the bike, but ive been researching for reasons why this would happen. I found many problems with the cam chain, but that shouldnt lock the motor up. All he said was " I was ripping down this road and it just locked up and slid to a stop. And that there is a crack on the engine mount." So whats some of the reasons why the yzf450 likes to seize? I havent really found any anwsers. Thanks, Im just trying to know what to look for when I look at the bike.

You haven't found any answers because the YZ's don't really like to seize. I suspect this bike has been abused and neglected for a long time. The only way I would buy this bike is if (A) I got it for next to nothing, (? I had a workshop and was looking for a winter project and © I had a spare $2500 to $3500 laying around. By the time you get this thing on the track and running, you would have spent enough to pick up a newer aluminum frame 450 anyway. My vote is that you pass on this one.

The seizure could have been a stuck rod bearing. That isn't usually too bad (crank, piston, rings), but you have to find out why it did it. '03's would occasionally break the bearing cage for no apparent reason, but not the '04+, so if that's the case, you could have an oil system problem.

Or, it could have seized a piston. Pretty unlikely, and once again, you need to figure out why.

The real fun is if the bike dropped a valve head. You'll be looking at $2000 or more in parts.

So, you could potentially end up with $2500-3K in an '05, not counting time and aggravation, and in the end, you'll have an '05. No offense to anyone, but that year wasn't a big favorite. I bought my second '06 for $3200 in SoCal over a year ago.

If I could buy it for $400, I'd open it up and evaluate the damage. Then I'd probably keep the wheels and sell everything else.

yeah never pay too much for basket cases because you'll never know what to expect until you get into it.I have turned downed stuff many of times because all it needed was a cdi or top end.When its not running,it could be anything,so pay accordingly.