ARIZONA RIDERS READ THIS CLOSED

As of today friday june 28 all of the areas that were open for riding are closed until we get rain. this is fron the forest offince in Mesa. my girl friend went to get the combo''s to all of the locks and they told her that it will be closed until rain comes.

BOBwombat, ben, kevin if you guys have any land by where you live it is now closed also. all of the state land by my house is closed and has been for a month.

FYI so you do not get a big ticket

slashman

Slashman, I believe that all state land and nearly all of the Forests areas have been closed since about a month ago. The announcement made at that time by Tonto did include some small exceptions:

"The only exceptions to the closure are the “Chain of Lakes,” the area west of the Verde River, the Goldfield Mountain area south of Saguaro Lake, and The Rolls area north of Saguaro Lake. With the exception of the Chain of Lakes, campfires are banned throughout the entire Tonto National Forest. Campfires will be allowed in the Chain of Lakes only in developed recreation sites with the exception of the Bagley site at Saguaro Lake. (The Chain of Lakes refers to Roosevelt, Apache, Saguaro, Canyon, Bartlett, and Horseshoe lakes and includes the Lower Verde and Lower Salt rivers). "

[Read it here.]

Someone at the Arizona Trail Riders meeting last night mentioned that an announcement would be coming out from the BLM office about a full closure of ALL BLM land which has up to now remained open. I have not heard of or seen anything new from the Forest Service, but wouldn't surprise me if things change.

I just spoke with the Tonto National Forest office. They said all off hwy vehicle use is now prohibited, even in the chain of lakes area. All of the singletrack out there (microwave towers, bartlett area) is now off limits. I guess it MX or nothing now. There and the BLM land was the last remaining open.

[ June 29, 2002: Message edited by: YZ400Court ]

Yeah, and this will all have been just a bad dream.

I drove up to Forest Lakes saturday night with a small group to deliver some donated supplies to the firefighters there. We approached near dusk and were allowed past the road closure by prior arrangement. We passed along the precribed burn which ultimately succeeded in halting the fire's progress accross 260 and basicly saved that community. The aftermath of the preemptive burn which was targeted at the underbrush was quite a sight. Thousands of campfire sized hot spots burning idly under the healthy trees that remained. Looked eerily like a war zone with the low lying smoky haze that drifted throughout the area.

Naturally, the guys at the Forest Lakes Fire Department were happy to see us and appreciated the stuff we brought, but above that was a definite air of good spirit. Apparently they had worked very hard along that line and their successes marked a turning point in getting this thing under control.

It'll still be touch and go out there until we do get some rain.

When this is all said and done we should all meet somewhere to ride together. ?

I went to Speedworld yesterday and it was packed more than usual, probably because of the closures. There were more than a few riders who looked new to the track on their trail bikes.

I don't know about you guys, but when it does rain, I plan on playing in the front of my house like a small boy. Jump in the puddles, float some boats. I'm not coming back inside until I'm thoroughly wet..LOL.

Colorado ride to Crested Butte is looking sweeter everyday.

ben

HEY GUYS,

I KNOW NORTH AND EAST OF HIGHWAY 93 & 60 ARE CLOSED, BUT EVERYTHING SOUTH AND WEST IS OPEN WITH RESTICTIONS. WHAT EXACTLY ARE THESE RESTRICTIONS? OBVIOUSLY CAMP FIRES ARE A BIG NO NO, BUT CAN WE STILL RIDE THERE? I SEARCHED THE BLM SITE AND FOUND NO INFO ON WHAT EXACTLY IS INCLUDED WITH THESE RESTRICTIONS. I AM HEADED OUT TO WICKENBURG FOR THE 4TH WHICH IS ON THE CLOSURE BOUNDRY. I PLAN ON RIDING AND MY FRIENDS RESERVED QUADS MANY MONTHS AGO FOR THIS WEEKEND. I JUST DON'T WANT TO SELL MY BIKE TO PAY FOR A FINE ?

THANKS, KAI

The boundary you are refering to is for BLM land only. ALL state land and forest areas are closed right now. Fire restriction basically means you can't burn anything (including smoking cigarettes). No camp fires or bar-b-ques, etc. All of the BLM areas I ride are west of Wickenburg and are closed. Best bet is to call the local BLM office. They can give you specific answers as to whether or not the area you are heading to is BLM land and what restrictions may be in force.

ben let me know when you want to go to cali or nevada or colorado. that goes for any one who wants to go rididng else where. i am going to the west side to go riding. way west of the town of maricopa to see if i can find any open areas. i do know where there is some BLM land. hope i can find it.

bobwombat, ben , kevin call me letes ride califorina