Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tk421

Any places to ride at Colorado Springs CO?

26 posts in this topic

I will be in Colorado Springs Colorado the week of July 22.

Does anyone know of places to ride in that area?

If you want to moto, Aztec raceway (http://www.aztecraceway.com/). If you prefer desert type riding you can head down to Pueblo Motorsports (about 45 minutes from the Springs). The close forest riding (Pike's Natl. Forest) is closed since it is on fire. I am not sure where the next closest forest riding is but need to find out myself since I sold my CR for a WR to go trail riding this year.

Old Novice pretty much summed it up. Aztec is your best moto bet. As far as other areas for trails, Divide, Rampart and Rainbow Falls are all closed due to some estrogen enraged hero wannabe.

You could also try Capatain Jacks, but alas, that too is closed.

For trail riding, the Tanner trail and Taylor Park are probably your best non-moto bets.

ONovice, you venture out to Aztec much?

Merf

Merfman, not near enough. My company sent me back to school a couple of years back & I just recently finished getting a degree. I think I have been there once early this year and maybe 2 or 3 times last year. No racing since 2000. Now that I have a WR it would only go to figure that one of the Forestry's finest would close all of the local trails.

Hey guys, any updates with the fires?

How about Pikes Peak Colorado Springs Colorado, is it open yet?

Thanks in advance.

Your timing is incredible. Moments ago one of the local news stations just claimed that the Forestry Dept. is going to open the non-burnt parts of the Pike's Natl. Forest FRIDAY!

I will attempt to confirm this report tomorrow by actually talking to someone in the Forestry Dept. unless someone else here has more reliable info.

Originally posted by Old_Novice:

Your timing is incredible. Moments ago one of the local news stations just claimed that the Forestry Dept. is going to open the non-burnt parts of the Pike's Natl. Forest FRIDAY!

Here's the lastest:

Date: July 11, 2002

Select Pike National Forest Campsites & Recreation Areas To Open

MORRISON, COLORADO? Five specific camping and recreational areas, closed during the recent Hayman Fire, will reopen for limited use tomorrow, Friday,

July 12. In general, however, the Pike National Forest will continue to remain closed for hiking, biking, picnicking, on and off road travel and other recreational

uses. All roads and trails in the forest, except county and state highways, will continue to be closed for use, including those surrounding the campgrounds selected for

opening.

So, IOW, it's still closed for OHV use.

For the rest of the details, see:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/news/Campground%20Opening%20Release%207-11-02.htm

Aztec this afternoon if anyone needs a moto-fix.. :)

Merf

Hey Merf,

What about the article in the Gazette this morning? Thought it meant the whole forest is open except for the burned areas. How long do you guys normally ride out at Aztek? Do you do any of the MX races anymore?

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: endozen ]

Originally posted by endozen:

Hey Merf,

What about the article in the Gazette this morning? Thought it meant the whole forest is open except for the burned areas. How long do you guys normally ride out at Aztek? Do you do any of the MX races anymore?

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: endozen ]

I didn't pay attention to the date on the article I quoted, my bad. It's dated 7/11 so it's likely out of date. Looks to me like things ARE open! Great!

We usually hang around at Aztec till dark-ish. I haven't raced any MX in a few years. I'm headed out from work around 3 and will probably hang around until around 7-ish. My wife is coming back from a business trip tonight so I don't want to stay too late.

Merf

The forest is opening! Woo-Hoo!!

I'd like to join you guys out there sometime Merf, please let me know of any future rides when you can. My truck has this weird electrical problem going on, don't trust to take it anywhere until the shop looks at it tomorrow. Gives me a solid excuse to ride the RXC400 into work tho! Have a good ride tonite, blast a couple of berms for me, and say hi to your Mrs.

Originally posted by endozen:

The forest is opening! Woo-Hoo!!

I'd like to join you guys out there sometime Merf, please let me know of any future rides when you can. My truck has this weird electrical problem going on, don't trust to take it anywhere until the shop looks at it tomorrow. Gives me a solid excuse to ride the RXC400 into work tho! Have a good ride tonite, blast a couple of berms for me, and say hi to your Mrs.

We *try* to make it out on a regular basis at least one day a week. Keeps the stress levels tolerable for those around me. :)

Merf

Looks like most of my fears are confirmed. Can you imagine how packed that's gonna make the trails at Rampart?

No kidding. I think I'll probably give it a couple of weeks before I head up to Rampart. It's a good time to explore other trails though.

We are riding Taylor Park this weekend, we'll be departing from the Trading Post around 930am both Saturday and Sunday if anyone wants to join us, just show up. We are doing Pearl Pass Saturday and Fossil Ridge on Sunday.

Will guide for beer!

Sounds like a very reasonable price. Doubtful I could make it this weekend tho. Do you reach the trading post thru cottonwood pass, and if so, how far is the post from Buena Vista?

From Buena Vista - Drive west on CR 306 over Cottonwood Pass and down to Taylor Park Reservoir.

(CR 306 becomes FR 209 at Cottonwood Pass)

Turn left onto FR 742 and drive to FR 765.

Turn left onto FR 765 and drive to Taylor Park Trading Post.

From Buena Vista to the trading post is 45-60 minutes drive time, depending on how fast you go.

Thanks Gee, perhaps I'll have the chance yet to get you those beers some weekend! I've got a buddy coming from Wisconsin and there's a very good chance we'll be heading up there Oct 5-6. Would you take a pop-up camper over cottonwood pass? I've heard the trading post really likes the OHV people.