Starting to hate my wr 450f...(2005)

How can I make it run better and fast for cheep. Right now it has been sitting for a year... (haven't had time to ride), So I had a shop check the cab, and valves... But it still runs like....... (you know) and has no power... anyone know what it could be, or just how to make it run better....

did all the pollution stuff "fall off" yet? that stuff really hinders performance.

Jetting it well can help if you haven't already. Other than pricey mods, keeping valves in spec and the oil fresh is good to do.

It's good you had the mechanic check the valves :worthy:

If it sat for a year a shop wont catch partially clogged jets in the carb. Clean then and run some guitar string or piano wire through it...

I've seen that fix more problems on bikes that have sat for a while than any other single thing.

Do all the above and if its still not good enough for you, try the Power Now valve and new accelerator pump cover. If you have some more money to invest, install a YZ exhaust cam and an aftermarket pipe. My '05 has everything done to it that I have mentioned and it rips!!!! Can keep up with MX four strokes on hole shots!

well in the last few days, i have added a bigger exhaust tip insert, changed the stock leak jet from the 50 to a 55, put a manual air to fuel mix screw, and so far so good..., i cut the grey wire along time ago, but never notice any change, does anyone know what cutting that wire really does??????? any more ideas...... so far so good, i feel more power then ever before, but i want more if i can get it for cheap... i have two dirt bikes... and don't have the money to fix them both.... ( the other one is a 1994 two stroke honda 250...)

I just started de-restricting/YZing mine and I'm happy. I'd like to try a lighter flywheel and YZ exhaust cam and headpipe but I'll probably just get an MX bike before I go that deep. If Yamaha would put the good forks on a WR I'd consider starting over with another one since I know what to do to one now. You can get a lot of weight off one and a LOT more power out of it with the proper amount of cash and some research.

• 2 weeks later...
How can I make it run better and fast for cheep. Right now it has been sitting for a year... (haven't had time to ride), So I had a shop check the cab, and valves... But it still runs like....... (you know) and has no power... anyone know what it could be, or just how to make it run better....

I agree with Zemac...check your jets...its only a couple hours of work. Mine were clogged and it ran horrible. I put in a new jet....thing ripped as usual. It was good to have my old bike back!