HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yz250fbeastrider

Best 2 stroke 250?

43 posts in this topic

Dirt Rider seems to think it's the 08 and 09 KTM 250XC. I've spent many o' mile on the 08 and it was indeed a great bike.

The YZ250 has had a loyal following since 99, and the RM is coveted for its turning. Heck, even the KX250 in 06/07 (unchanged) was popular.

My money goes on the KTM for off road and the YZ for a mix of everything because it's so versatile and because Yamaha still makes it. It's the new cheater bike in local 250F classes!

I have an 01 RM250 and love it. It's a toss up on a new bike. If I was to get a new bike I would go with the YZ pretty much because I think it's going to have the biggest market share soon at the best price (i.e. more aftermarket parts, lower price parts and repair, etc). No scientific data here, just my opinion. I like the KTM and it seems like everyone at the track is showing up riding orange so I would seriously look at that one also. Really any 2 stroke will be a great bike. The way I see it most of us change just about everything on a bike the day it rolls into our garage (suspension, pipe, bars, controls, reeds, etc.) so go with the one you get the best deal on.

There is no "best", IMO. Only choices that may fit your riding style, physical stature, terrain, proximity to spares parts etc.

ktm sx250 - case closed

Another case closed here

IMG_0825_2.jpg

Just kidding, the best bike is the one you can't wait to ride each WE.:worthy:

I had a YZ, CR and all were as good as my SX.

I have a great Katoom dealership, where people sell and ride dirt bikes

non of those bikes can compare to the kx 250 this has been a great bike I can go 60 + miles on a stock tank of gas and have great power.

the rm's have transmission problems

the cr have a slight bit more power but only 35 miles and your out of gas

yz I dont know that much about

kx great bike but rebuild it every year or they will destroy it self pistons skirt break off because of slop

Another case closed here

IMG_0825_2.jpg

Just kidding, the best bike is the one you can't wait to ride each WE.:eek:

I had a YZ, CR and all were as good as my SX.

I have a great Katoom dealership, where people sell and ride dirt bikes

very nice bike you have there. :worthy:

the cr's are good as people are saying, but they never really improved on it when they should have done. I remember reading in mxa (i think) a while ago, and they said it was something to do with the ignition, and if this was improved it would have been a much better bike

look everybody a dead horse! lets see how bad we can beat it, again!

Excellent point.

But really, if your buying used, then the newest nicest one that you can find is it.

From there Honda , Kawasaki and Suzuki stopped importing 2 strokes into the US. So if you want a new one, you'll have to look some place else.

Finally, you never mentioned what type of riding your going to do. It's my opinion that MX tracks have been slowly redesigned to favor 4 strokes, so if your going to race MX then your going to be better off on a thumper. Off road and just playing around is another story. And with KTM's coming with electric starting, it's hard to look past that.

Exactly what type of riding are you going to do?

Love my 04 RM 250 excellent bike for the trails and can still roost at local tracks if I choose!! but...I"m sure if I had a Yamaha I would tell you to go blue too or KTM to go orange... I agree you should just find the best deal and ride!!

im riding the track... only reason why m getting a 2 smoke is money wise. Im going to start racing and cant afford to replace a 4 stroke top end often. Then alone know how to. I got a really good freind that helps me a ton. If i buy a 2 stroke i can have him do anythng to it for me, actually he is even buying it, then i gottta pay him in payments. He raced for 30 years. And his daughter races. He gave me 600$+ in gear and freebees in the last month. I donno how to thank him.

Love my 04 RM 250 excellent bike for the trails and can still roost at local tracks if I choose!! but...I"m sure if I had a Yamaha I would tell you to go blue too or KTM to go orange... I agree you should just find the best deal and ride!!

Ditto that!!! I love my '05 RM (best bike ever made :worthy: ), my buddy loved his '06 KX, another buddy loved his '04 YZ.