HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jake92

Powder coated frame 05 YZF

10 posts in this topic

I had my 426 frame powder coated, it looked great. 1 cross country race and the coating is rubbing off already. Not worth the work nor money to me.

Bill

Put some clear wrapping on it ... keeps the color on the frame ... Its like a sticker but clear ....

I guess it depends on who does it, my 426 was done 7 yrs ago and is a little dull where my boots hit it but has not rubbed thru, the stock paint rubbed thru in 2 months. I'd say it holds up about 10 times better than any paint. Mike

I guess it depends on who does it, my 426 was done 7 yrs ago and is a little dull where my boots hit it but has not rubbed thru, the stock paint rubbed thru in 2 months. I'd say it holds up about 10 times better than any paint. Mike

Wait, it took you 2 months to wear through the stock paint? When I ran steel framed YZ's I would rub through the stock paint in 3-4 laps on a track.

I had my kid's YZ80 powder coated back in the spring and it's holding up well. Just had my 400 done last week and in the process of putting it back together. I plan on using the clear plastic stick-on covers too.

i coated the frame on my Kx 500 -- its rubbing thin after about 10 rides --- I'm a little like KJ970 though, i go through paint in one ride on a steel frame --

riding style affects this somewhat i'm sure --- but i guess the powder is lasting 10x better than paint, but it is still not indestructible

I coated my 04 yz450 frame, it rubbed dull on the siderails in a ride or two. the rest looks good, but it is harder to clean, i think the surface is more porus and gets dirt trapped, therefore making it dirtier faster. I have rebuilt a lot of bikes and this was my first time doing powder coat. The results are OK but I will never do it again on a frame, especially one that has to have oil going through it, too much prep time and cost if you ask me. Also I noticed after doing powder coat the frame gained some weight:bonk: . Remember that powder coat is thicker than paint.