Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vinny2692

motocross racing a wr...

7 posts in this topic

i know i know, my 04' WR isn't exactly the ideal motocross machine. If i was doing nothing but motocross, i would deffinatly buy a yz, but at the moment i need a dual sport machine, but also LOVE motocross. My question is, how can i make my wr tolerable on a motocross track? At the moment, all i have is the battery removed, and the lights removed, and i intend on respringing my suspension this winter. Any thing else i could do to make it a little more motocross friendly?? Any help would be appreciated :worthy:

Hey bud I got a exc 450 and am trying to set it up for MX and harescrambles enduros. I havent got the suspension work done but I have a feeling it will really help but also I just got a bore kit and a hot cam to put in it. They say a cam will really give you more snap to the throttle so that might be something to look into, mine got shipped out today so Ill post and let you know if it was worth the cash. Also check into a power now

i know i know, my 04' WR isn't exactly the ideal motocross machine. If i was doing nothing but motocross, i would deffinatly buy a yz, but at the moment i need a dual sport machine, but also LOVE motocross. My question is, how can i make my wr tolerable on a motocross track? At the moment, all i have is the battery removed, and the lights removed, and i intend on respringing my suspension this winter. Any thing else i could do to make it a little more motocross friendly?? Any help would be appreciated :worthy:

why not try to get some YZ suspension on e-bay?

I have raced my WR a couple times, my buddy has also.It is doable, but there is no hiding the extra weight of the WR. I would probably hunt around for some YZ suspenders like Charles suggested. I would also get a YZ throttle tube, for less twist, the WR has an "enduro" type throttle tube, and it is too long of a twist to get full throttle, putting your arm in a poor position. The motor is actually a good moto motor even in WR trim, it is slow revving, but has a great torque curve. They are a good choice in the mud. If you start to moto alot, you better step up to a YZ, it is better suited obviously.:worthy:

Daveaug%2007%20moto.jpg

Cheapest way...heavier fork oil, and respring for suspension.

Go up to a 52 tooth rear sprocket.

For the berms, try going up in the clamps 5mm at a time with the fork tubes.

Just something I've seen done, and the guy podiumed three times last Saturday in the Vet class.

You can do it.I guess its better than missing the chance to ride a mx event.But man, the WR is a heavy bike.I have a tough time getting mine up on a stand.If you are going to ride more than a few MX races a year,do yourself a favor and buy a cheap used MX bike.You would be better off riding a 89 YZ250 on a motocross track and safer too.

To answer your question, heavier springs and a prayer is the best you will do for the WR on a mx track