Applied Racing Triple Clamps - 2007 YZ450 now turns great

I had bought a 2007 YZ450 w/ the purpose of making it an off-road / woods bike.

The challenge I had was how the bike would not turn well and the front end would push and tend to wash out in the corners. This resulted in a lack of confidence overall in riding. My 2005 KTM400 turned way better.

I installed a Top and Bottom Applied Racing Triple clamp (w/ submount for my Scotts Steering Adapter). It had the 24mm offset.

How does the bike now handle and feel for off-road/woods riding?

Like night and day.

The bike immediately fit me better just sitting on the bike.

I would not have thought 1 mm from the stock clamps would have made that huge of a difference. BTW, the Fork height is set at the 1st line.

My son (who is a very strong B rider and rides an RM 250) loved the bike as well. Said it turned awesome and was totally different than before. He was just as fast on the YZ450 now as he was on his RM250 in the woods.

I can now take tight or wide turns with or without berms w/ great confidence.

Can rip through inside or outside lines (flat or off-camber). No problem either way.

The handling is like majic and turns just as easy as my KTM.

Until this mod I was really thinking of selling it. Now it's a keeper.

Hope this bit of info helps those trying to find a cure for the 2007 YZ450 handling issues for off-road riding.

I got my set a WholeSaleMX.com

any pics with the stabilizer on? my buddy has Applied clamps on his '06 YZ 250.

Let me submit something for your consideration:

You are evaluating a bike after having made 3 major changes, and attributing all of the handling improvement to one of the 3.

The OEM handlebar position on the YZ450 is too low, and too far rearward for almost everyone who stands taller than 5'8". I had almost exactly the same experience with my '06 when all I did was change from the Reed/Henry bend to the Windham bend. The difference in how the bike steered was phenomenal, frankly, and a great deal more than I expected. I suggest that most of what you report here is due to elevating the bars. Read:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657523

Also interesting is this photo of Doug Dubach, who originated the Applied 24mm offset. Note the forward rake of the bars on his bike, placing his hands farther forward than they would be with the OEM setup.

I am not saying that the 24mm clamps don't or won't help, or aren't the optimum offset for the bike. I am saying that everything you have experienced here may very well not be attributable only to the clamps, and that the handle bar change had far more to do with this than you think.

MZ9P8033.jpg

Our 09 turns better than our 08 and other than what ever might be contributed to the new swingarm/linkage changes all I an contribute it to is having the bars in the new forward hole on the upper clamps. All other susp. settings are identical. I think the bars are like 10mm farther forward in this setting than then 08 with the clamps rotated forward.

By the way, on what position are you running your bars? I have windham bend on zero position, but it seems to be a good idea to try them on +1 position.

I'll add more background. Prior to switching to the Applied Triple Clamps w/ submount, I had the stock Triple Clamps w/ a BRP submount system for my stabilizer. I was and still use the stock OEM bars.

So I already had the bar height taken into consideration prior (and it did not turn well at all).

So the main variable that changed was the Triple Clamp offset postion.

At the end of the day, I'm a pretty happy camper with how it handles and turns.

For the record, Applied clamps position the bar mount holes in the top clamp 3mm more forward than stock.

I recently purchased one of Doug's 08 YZ450F's. I have not touched/adjusted his bar mounting as it fits me perfectly. He runs his 24mm clamps with the solid bar mounts rotated back in the rear position with stock Yamaha bend Pro Tappers rotated just a little past parallel (forward) of the fork angle.

All I know is that this bike fits me like a glove and handles very well in the turns. :worthy:

My last bike was a 06 KX450F. You Yamaha guys think the YZ pushes???:eek:

For the record, Applied clamps position the bar mount holes in the top clamp 3mm more forward than stock.

I recently purchased one of Doug's 08 YZ450F's. I have not touched/adjusted his bar mounting as it fits me perfectly. He runs his 24mm clamps with the solid bar mounts rotated back in the rear position with stock Yamaha bend Pro Tappers rotated just a little past parallel (forward) of the fork angle.

All I know is that this bike fits me like a glove and handles very well in the turns. :worthy:

My last bike was a 06 KX450F. You Yamaha guys think the YZ pushes???:banghead:

You aren't lying, I had a 06 KX450F and now I have a 06 YZ450F. The KX450F was the worst bike I have ever owned. It had a terrible rear shock, big gaps in the transmission, and pushed worse than a YZ450 with a D739 and 200mm's of race sag.

Glad to have it out if the garage.

Im glad came across this thread. I recently laid my bike down, and twisted my triple camps up. So now im shopping for a new set. Im 6'5" and the bike doesnt turn for me very well. I mean i make it work, but im more or less fighting it the whole time. I think i will try the clamps with the windam bend. Thanks guys

Im 6'5" ... I think i will try the clamps with the windam bend. Thanks guys
At 6'5", you might want to go with something even higher, like the KX high. Then again, my son is 6'4", and rides with Windhams and loves them.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will definetely keep that in mind. On a sidenote,i'm going to start racing the awrcs woods racing, and am looking for some suggestions about my bike setup. Like what i should be looking to change to get the bike to work for me. I've been riding for 22 years, and ive never turned the suspension 1 click ever. So im thinkin if i make my bike a little more friendly i might do ok.lol

From a suspension perspective, I got heavier front and rear springs, set the sag, then set the front and rear clickers. I also got a SDG tall seat (I'm 6.1) so it makes the ergo's fit me like a glove.

I also got a Rekluse Pro. Makes it really nice when riding over technical terrain. But I can still rip on a MX track as well.

This bike is now the best of both worlds. (MX and Off-road).

Im glad came across this thread. I recently laid my bike down, and twisted my triple camps up. So now im shopping for a new set. Im 6'5" and the bike doesnt turn for me very well. I mean i make it work, but im more or less fighting it the whole time. I think i will try the clamps with the windam bend. Thanks guys

If you do choose Applied Clamps, you can request taller bar mounts when you order your set at no extra charge. If you choose to go with the rubber bar mount set up you have your choice of stock height or +5,10 or 15mm taller bar mounts.

Solid bar mounts would get you stock or +5 or 10mm taller options.

If you go with their Scotts sub-mount set up you will get nearly an inch over stock! Cool thing here is that you can request the sub-mount for your Factory Clamp Set and get it swapped out for you at no extra charge!:worthy: