05 450 Rear Suspension

I recently blew the rear shock on my bike, and upon trying to fix it, noticed the threads were stripped on the shock body. Previouse owner raced a lot and I assume, was always revalving and adjusting, so the shock got a work out.

Instead of sending it out to get rebuilt and have them tell me they wont work on it because the threads are stripped, I'm thinking of buying a new used one.

I've been looking on ebay for an 03-05 rear shock and cant find much. Found a few 06's and wouldn't mind the upgraded shock.

I searched the site looking for differences on length and cant find a definitive answer. So I'm wondering if a newer rear shock will fit my 05. I've read they will bolt up, but the length is different, and could have adverse effects?

Anyone have some input?

Thanks,

~Kris

if you get the correct sag numbers you can keep the shock, a decent shop will have a spring compressor and can remove the spring without undoing the top nut.

I sent a question a store on ebay who was selling multiple shocks for a couple different year bikes, and he replied with an 03-05 and an 06 have the same length rear shock. 19 1/4" by his measuring. I'm not sure a tape measure is accurate enough to determine the lengths, but I think im gonna try it anyways.

I'm also thinking of buying another one because, I would have just as much in a rebuild and shipping as a new used one. This way i can have the full range of adjustment on the shock preload too.

Anyone else have any input?

Anyone running different year shocks on their bikes?

It will work. I run a 04 shock on my 07. The 07 is longer but just a couple of millimeters. You could also run a shock off of a 250 but the valving is different.