HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M0SSLAGER

So cal desert riding gearing

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys, curious to see what gearing everyones running that rides in the open deserts of So Cal., such as Ocotillo Wells, Stoddard Valley. I ride a YZ426 and need to change it up as the previous owner had it geared for Glamis.

I run my '06 with either stock, or one tooth higher than stock gearing. On your 426, that would be 49/14, or 48/14. There are occasions when I'd like one more tooth off, but they are fairly rare for me. Not so much my son, however. He'd probably like it another notch up.

What Gray suggests is about right. It really depends on whether you are going to ride rocky, technical uphills. If so, I would remove a tooth or two from the rear. If not, I would consider adding a tooth to the counter sprocket. When we ride Baja for fun, we run this gearing and it is about perfect.

Hey guys I found a 14 front in my toolbox... what should I expect different on my top end if I go from my 13/50 setup to a 14/50?

About 6-7 mph in 5th. 50/14 is still one tooth lower than stock, but it will be way better than what you have. If it was me, I'd go get a 48 for the rear to go with it.