Decided on the WR

So after months of trying to decide whether to keep bolting stuff on to my YZ or getting a WR for a proper off-road bike I Picked up an 08 WR 450. Pretty much all the off-road goodies off my YZ bolted right to the new WR. After three rides in mostly tight single track I must say I love it! I can hardly feel the extra weight, the WR gearbox is awesome and having e-start rocks.

CIMG2791.jpg

CIMG2794.jpg

CIMG2805.jpg

CIMG2803.jpg

CIMG2806.jpg

CIMG2804.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

I have an 07wr450 and I was thinking about picking up a yz450 or 250f as a back up bike, and also as a lighter bike for a lot of the tighter single track areas where the big heavy wr seems to be too much. What didn't you like about the yz for offroad, and what kind of stuff do you normally ride? I have just found that the big fat wr seems to really tire me out in the enduros that I ride in, but pretty much only in the trees. If I did go with a yz, I would probably swap out the yz gears for a wr setup.

Well, the main kicker was I wanted an electric bike for night rides and to not always have to worry about making it back to the truck in time. I pretty much ride an even mix of MX (keeping the YZ for that), open desert, rocky trails-hills and tight single track. I found the WR to be a lot less clutch work and the power to be a little friendlier in the tight stuff. I have not had the WR out in the open desert yet so I can’t really comment on the suspension in the whoops but the plush ride is nice on the trails.

The WR is going to have a higher top speed than the yz, the 5th gear is much taller. The stock suspension on the wr is going to be real soft for the desert though. The really soft initial stroke is nice, but the bottoming resistance just isn't there. You'll see what I mean. You might be lighter than I am, I weigh 185/190, so it may be perfect for you. The soft suspension sure is nice in the real slow and nasty stuff.

Do you like the pillow top grips? I hated mine. Gave me blisters, and I never get blisters! Just curious.

I really like the pillow tops, my only complaint is that they are hard to find sometimes.

How thick is the factory skid, is an Alum. one a must? Nice bike by the way, I ride YZ but forrest officals are getting sticky with lights, I may trade up.

The stock plastic one is actually pretty thick, I think I am going to leave it and see how long it lasts. I will let ya know how it holds up, so far so good!