HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Strattos

Rattling sound in fork

13 posts in this topic

The other night, after washing my bike, i was moving it around and noticed what sounds like a bit of a rattle inside the forks when I move the bike from side to side quickly.

It's not really loud - you'd never hear it with the motor running. Sounds like it somewhere up near the upper half of the forks - around where the lower triple clamp is.

Is this normal? I haven't noticed it in my other bikes. Just wondering if its always been like this and I've only just noticed it.

What could it be?

mine doesn't make that sound - does that mean mine's broken???

Sounds like it has something to do with the upper spring seat near where the inner cylinder connects to it- if you're pinpointing the location right.

Yep, mine too. Always kinda wondered what it was. Kept looking for something loose on the light or fork guards.:lol:

I have an '06 and have not heard this noise on mine, but someone tell me if this test would work to confirm it is loose springs. If you compress the front end and use a tie down to hold the compressed forks, and then wiggle around the front end, would the noise go away if it were the springs making the noise? Just an idea if someone wants to try it

I have an '06 and have not heard this noise on mine, but someone tell me if this test would work to confirm it is loose springs. If you compress the front end and use a tie down to hold the compressed forks, and then wiggle around the front end, would the noise go away if it were the springs making the noise? Just an idea if someone wants to try it

Yep, if I pull the front wheel off of the ground on the kickstand and pound on the forks, I hear the rattle. Compress the forks and rattle goes away.:lol:

Noticed that same sound after replacing the fork seals....just the springs slapping from side to side...completely normal.

so this is just loose springs? and its not going to explode or anything aha coz i have this issue on my 96 CR 125 and was getting concerned, wasnt goin to stop me from going riding this afternoon though =P