WR 400 and WR 426

Hi. This is my first post. My buddy has a 2002 WR 426 that has one of the best motors I have ever ridden. I currently ride a 2003 CR250 and love it but I am tired of the noise, smoke, and oil. On the 426 they had a new cam put in, did the timing, retard wire, throttle stop, jetting, and put a YZF pipe on it. I really like the motor because it has the hard hit of a 2 stroke but pulls like a 4 stroke. I now have the opportunity to buy a 1998 WR 400. My question is could I do all of the same mods to the 400 that they did to the 426, how different is the frame suspension etc... Does anybody have any opinions on either bikes and how they stack up.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Ryan Baldus

I have a 2000 400 and it runs great, once jetted correct. You should be able to get it to run just as good as a 426. You can always get a big bore kit for it, if you want.

Good luck, they are fun bikes maybe not the latest and greatest but a solid bike.

I have a 2000 400 and it runs great, once jetted correct. You should be able to get it to run just as good as a 426. You can always get a big bore kit for it, if you want.

Good luck, they are fun bikes maybe not the latest and greatest but a solid bike.

If you had to compare the 400 suspension and frame to the 426 what would you say?

I don't think there is much if any difference between the 2. But I could be wrong. Either way you'll probably have to set the bike up for you and your riding. So go with the best bang for the buck and work from there. Both have the steel frames and are heavier than the newer bikes with the aluminum frames, consequently the CG is a little higher so making it feel heavier. I just muscle mine through the single tracks with no problems. Still fine tuning the suspension but I am pretty happy where all is at for my weight (170), all stock suspension. Haven't had any starting issues always starts on the first or second kick. Hot just 1 kick and of she goes.

good luck, you'll like the bike.

If you had to compare the 400 suspension and frame to the 426 what would you say?

That depends on what year 426. The 02 has some upgrades to the suspension over its predecessor(s) and basically has the same rear suspension as the 03/04 450. But as already stated all the 98 up wr are solid bikes!

I too had a CR250 and got tired of the smoke, spooge, oil, smell and stalling it the tight stuff. I got an 02 wr426 and love it. I caught some crap from some friends, but I can now go slow when I need too for a second and then rip when I want to.

Never been on a 400, but if it is similar to mine, I don't think you will be sorry.

I am not sure about the wr's but i had a 98 yz 400 and a 2002 yz 426 and the difference was fairly minimal. Riding the two was just about the same except it felt like the 98 had a problem with sucking the rear wheel into whoops worse. However I bet that could have been adjusted out fairly easily. But I could jump right off the one onto the other without even noticing much difference.

I am lined up with a guy who wants to trade for my CR250, strate trade. Any tips on what to look for on these bikes. Easy to spot worn out points. Anything special to look for?

Thanks for all your replies. I really appreciate it!

Ryan baldus

There is a mod for the early 400/426 bikes that really works. Throw the carb away (instead of fiddling with broken throttle plates, corroded pump shafts and so on) and get an Edelbrock carb instead. Starting lifted to another level (sooo easy), no stalling, and better overall performance. I use them on all "old" WRs and it's still the best mod you can make. There are used Edelbrocks around, too...

Great bikes - just be careful as to the shape it's in - check valves/shims if at all possible BEFORE you buy because if they are on their last legs it's big $$ to get done (1000.00) - still not cheap if you do it yourself (500.00 with minor head work).

And this trade - a 1998 WR400F for a 2003 CR250?....not sure if I think that's too good of a deal looking at it from your end.....guess it depends on the shape of your bike.

And this trade - a 1998 WR400F for a 2003 CR250?....not sure if I think that's too good of a deal looking at it from your end.....guess it depends on the shape of your bike.

I am actually looking at trading for a 2001 YZ426.