Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gearhead86

A leaf fell into my crankcase

23 posts in this topic

Hey my first post, to bad its about a stupid move.

So I was checking my valve clearance today outside, it's a breezy fall day, and a leaf blew into my engine and fell down to the bottom of my timing chain. I was not able to retrieve it.

Should be worried about it? Or should i just change the oil a couple of times?

It was a small leaf; about 1" x 1/2".

thanks

I'd try to get it out.

It might get eaten in the engine, it might just migrate to and cover the oil pump screen. How lucky are you?

I'd try to get it out.

It might get eaten in the engine, it might just migrate to and cover the oil pump screen. How lucky are you?

I agree. Sorry. Sounds like something i'd do.

thanks for the replies.

I tried fishing it out but now I can't even see it.

How big is the oil pump screen?

Remove the ignition cover and pick it out.

(I was very tempted to say, "leaf it alone." ) :lol:

I'll give this a shot. I'll probably have to replace the cover gasket. I'll have to pick up valve shims from the dealer anyways so I'll pick up a gasket too.

Unless you are using synthetic oil, your gearbox is filled with leaves, and countless other extinct life forms. Sell it and get a boat.

I suspect that the leaf isn't floating due to it's water content. It will probably get washed into the side case cover if I lean the bike over.

It's worth a shot though. I was planning on removing the cover anyways.

Thanks alot for the suggestions.

that is a tough decision to make, you can run it and hope for the best, it may plug a oil passage and you will cook the engine or it may just pass through everything and get caught in the filter, hard to say what would happen. You could run it for a couple min or so at idle then check the filter and the strainer, really don't know what i would do.

:p:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

some of those oil passages are very small and I would think easy to plug with a leaf/stem, peace of mind, if nothing else, would make me look for it. maybe a good excuse to look at your piston/rings by removing the cylinder.

Take the ignition cover off and look for it in there. You'll find it somewhere, and then just buy new gaskets to reassemble.

Was it a dry leaf or a semi soft leaf?

Only reason I'm asking is that it is likely sitting on the chain way down there, if you hand crank the engine, it might get mushed (if still soft) into the chain by the gear and magically come to the top embedded in the chain. If dry - it'll likely flake apart.

Another thing you can try is to take a piece of mactac and put it onto a telescopic magnet and see if you can pick it up with the mactac.

Air may blow it the wrong way and you'll need to remove the stator cover and possibly the flywheel (PITA).

Hi GearHead,

Why don't you try necking down a vacume hose to a small tube that

would fit into the spot the leaf went into and suck it out.

Good Luck

I hate to tell you this but small oil passages and a larger leaf= expensive repair. These engines are very compact and highly strung, there's not much room for fudge factor. Play it safe and do what is necessary to get it out! a gram of prevention is better than a kilo of cure!!!