Exhaust tip

I have an 02 WR426 with stock exhaust (minus the pea shooter) bike runs great, just really don't like the exhaust tip. It looks.... well,,, I don't want to say stupid, but I would say it is my least favorite part of the bike.

Has anyone modified their exhaust tip or is there an aftermarket one that bolts on with the 3 bolts that looks decent. I want to change it up, but I really don't want to spend a bunch of $$$ for a new pipe that will cause me to have to re-jet. Bike runs great now with plenty of power.

It sounds (no pun intended) like your running without a baffle. Do all of us a favor and get one. Yamaha GYTR or ProMoto billet both make one that fits the stock pipe. If you want a new pipe, get one that's quiet.

Now to be two-faced. If you insist on running a loud pipe, I have a White Bros E-series that is too loud for any track or trail here in MI. I'll make you a good deal.

I have the screen part in there, which is the spark arrestor, right? I just don't have the black painted part that restricts the flow down to about a .5" dia. hole.

Not crazy about the bike being really loud. I just would like to have a pipe that doesn't look like a blunderbuss. I like the looks of the ProMoto billet, but I don't know if I like it that much. But thanks alot for bringing it to my attention, now I know I do have options.

or find a used stock pipe from a YZ for your bike.

It will be quieter than most aftermarkets and cheaper too

That's an idea, Thanks!

I guess it will fit the same?

I have the GYT-R......

l_9c28932a0e02fec35243282db546d8b1.jpg

l_65b0dc9064eebeb952364ab990c7cf7f.jpg

Or when I want to cut the ponies loose, a YZ can..........

l_951c63341de7a03678126818e8907ecd.jpg

l_8cc63caa82e50f4c304414b76dd3aa7d.jpg

I like the YZ can.

husqvarnarider - what was the reason for adding the insert? Was it for noise reduction or to add a spark arrester. There are time when I'd like my WR450 to be a bit quieter than what the stock can allows.

why don't they make these tips to turn down toward the ground more? That would quiet things up a bit.

Yeah....it was for noise reduction. The spark arrestor is still behind the 3-bolt plate. In the local enduro/dual-sports they sound test, and a lot of AMA events too. Plus...some of my "secret trails" require a bit of stealth :lol: I experimented with several home-made inserts, but settled on the GYT-R. It quiets it down substantially, with little loss on the bottom. the YZ can is actually shortened, and even with Silent Sport packing it's LOUD. I use it for track riding only.

Yeah....it was for noise reduction. The spark arrestor is still behind the 3-bolt plate. In the local enduro/dual-sports they sound test, and a lot of AMA events too. Plus...some of my "secret trails" require a bit of stealth :lol: I experimented with several home-made inserts, but settled on the GYT-R. It quiets it down substantially, with little loss on the bottom. the YZ can is actually shortened, and even with Silent Sport packing it's LOUD. I use it for track riding only.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into a tip for my stealth needs...

Anyone got a YZ pipe for sale?

Yeah I added the GYTR to mine so I had the option to quiet it down. This way I can put the stock insert in when I wanted to be quiet and not disturb houses close by. I guess you could do the same thing with the YZ pipe but was not a quick to change out.

Newbie question --

So I have a YZ exhaust, and after being inspired by this and some other recent exhaust threads, I now believe the reason it was no quieter than my current aftermarket exhaust is because it has little to no packing left. So I am going to pick up some of that Silent Sport packing material (thanks to whomever for the tip), but I'm curious if I can put one of these quieter tips people keep talking about onto the YZ pipe. The YZ pipe I have (2003 YZ450, I believe) is riveted, rather than having three bolts. Is there a way to mount up an aftermarket tip?

Thanks,

~Patrick

Newbie question --

So I have a YZ exhaust, and after being inspired by this and some other recent exhaust threads, I now believe the reason it was no quieter than my current aftermarket exhaust is because it has little to no packing left. So I am going to pick up some of that Silent Sport packing material (thanks to whomever for the tip), but I'm curious if I can put one of these quieter tips people keep talking about onto the YZ pipe. The YZ pipe I have (2003 YZ450, I believe) is riveted, rather than having three bolts. Is there a way to mount up an aftermarket tip?

Thanks,

~Patrick

http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/46_48_39/products_id/43

You can add the silent tip to that for more stealth. It has a bit of turn down to it and lowers the noise. I have that setup on mine and it blew 94db two weeks ago before the race.