Is Anybody Running A Rekluse Clutch In Their WR450F

I just bought a 2004 WR450 F with a Rekluse clutch Pro with heavier balls installed and the Clutch perch. I was told to ride it starting in 2nd gear. I can feel the clutch pulling in 2nd gear, but it is slipping. In first gear it pulls harder. I rode it again when I got home and when I got down the trail, I tried to stop, but the clutch did not disengage. It stalled. Any recommendations for adjusting the setup?

I just bought a 2004 WR450 F with a Rekluse clutch Pro with heavier balls installed and the Clutch perch. I was told to ride it starting in 2nd gear. I can feel the clutch pulling in 2nd gear, but it is slipping. In first gear it pulls harder. I rode it again when I got home and when I got down the trail, I tried to stop, but the clutch did not disengage. It stalled. Any recommendations for adjusting the setup?

Go to Rekluse's website and download their install and set up documents. They do a pretty thorough job of explaining things.

If it is slipping it is probably time for new friction disks... especially if you don't know how it was ridden. Judging from the start in second comment I would say it was abused pretty throughly.

go on ,fit one and save your starter motor and battery too .I think the lhrb is more for supermotard .The clutch override is more useful for popping over things.My opinion only .I have a z-start and clutch adjuster on a wr400 y2k with pivot pegs and lotsa goodies.The z-start rekluse was a poor mans answer to the electric leg .I only kick it now when i went to.It NEVER stalls .Unless we are both on our sides too long LOL

FWIW I have a pro on my 06 wr450 and I ride tight singletrack (must try a trials tire soon). I have mine set for a higher engagement speed which makes the initial bite softer but will create an instant trench if you snap the throttle.

I recently went from 13/50 to 15/50 gearing and surprisingly it made tight work easier by forcing the clutch to work a bit harder - it really is like an automatic - really good at low speed control but still has plenty of snap if you want.

its given me a WR with an XR bottom end and a WR midrange and for me thats a real fun combination - I love it.

When I said the clutch was slipping, that was with the clutch perch lever pullled in. It still pulls, harder in 1st gear and less in second gear. The fellow said he set it up tight. .029" clearance. It digs trench when you release the clutch perch and gas it. I was told it was running the Shell Rotella 10W40 oil in it. I thought maybe the clutch perch needs adjustment and have been reading how Rekluse says to adjust the perch. Have not made any changes yet.

how often did your oil get changed Mudflap??If your mechanically minded its not hard to lay it on its side ,whip the cover off the clutch and inspect the clearance ,Have a good look at the basket where the friction plates sit .If its got grooves in it can cause your slip .If its ok .Check clearance and change the oil when its back together.The rekluse instructions will make it a breeze .And you'll be stoked .

bump.

installed a rekluse exp on my wr450f a few months back. works brilliantly in the tight stuff and love it. problem is i do a fair bit of open easy trails too and also road work with the motard wheels. the problem is the clutch slips a lot rolling the throttle on in higher gears. rekluse said this is typical with the medium wedges that come with the kit and i needed to buy their heavier wedges. &%$#@!?

the website said these were included along with the springs. the distributor said it would help but probably not eliminate it entirely as the rekluse exp depends on you revving the bike high all the time. the website says its fully tunable for all conditions and terrain but personally i dont think its a good setup if you ride at a relaxed cruisy pace a fair bit of the time. horses for courses....

I ride street a lot and I dont ever experience that.. 08 WR... something is wrongm with yours. I get 100% engagement by 3k rpm.. stock settings Z start pro

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that if you stop mid climb on a hill that it will freewheel and just roll on you, is that true for all of you?

Thinking that could be a bad situation in some of the steeper technical climbs.

Anyone have experience with this?

I'm looking at the EXP 2.0 for my '05 450, can't afford the pro.

I have the revloc on my 07 450 I find that there are more advantages than dis. Yes it is true that the bike is virtually in neutral when the motor is off or you are at idle. If I dump the bike on a hillclimb hard enough that it stalls yes that can be a pain. I have found that if you stand it partway up and start it you can modulate the gas it is just like you were useing the clutch and throttle at the same time. I do have a clutch lever so I can keep high revs and slip or pop the clutch. The only disadvantage I hav found which is rare now is when the motor is dead on a hill I can no longer be off the bike and pivot it on the rear wheel. If I got the left hand brake that would also be a non issue.

Wow old thread brought back. Good job on the search.

I should get the Exp 2.0 on Monday. I ride single track exclusively. I thought this was the newer, improved version. Should I have gotten the Z start Pro?

I'm not up on the current models. From what I understand revloc is no longer which really sucks caud I love it. But I would like a right hand brake lever for those few times it would be nice.

When I've got my Rekluse set-up properly, it will not free-wheel on a hill even at an idle. As the clearance increases so does the "free-wheeling" effect.

I'm not up on the current models. From what I understand revloc is no longer which really sucks caud I love it. But I would like a right hand brake lever for those few times it would be nice.

Oops.....I do have a right hand brake. It is a front brake..:(:wacko: I want a LEFT hand rear brake lever. :lol:

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that if you stop mid climb on a hill that it will freewheel and just roll on you, is that true for all of you?

Thinking that could be a bad situation in some of the steeper technical climbs.

Anyone have experience with this?

I'm looking at the EXP 2.0 for my '05 450, can't afford the pro.

I have been using a Rekluse in my 2012 WR450 for nearly six months.

Aside from the potential of premature gearbox wear from not changing gears with the clutch lever, stalling on a technical hill climb and rolling backwards is the only real drawback I can think of at this stage BUT it hasn't stalled on me once in any situation.

Worst case is that I fall off, the bike falls over and the wheel starts spinning slowly as the clutch is always slightly disengaged with the Rekluse. Thus creating the effect of being stalled with a standard clutch and being locked into gear (to a fair degree).

All in all I find riding with the Rekluse so much more fun. That's what it's all about for Weekend Warriors, isn't it? :thumbsup:

Edited by Ricky Roma

Guys, you think running taller gearing and the rekluse would be a good idea for a 10 day trip in the Colorado mountains?

We run tall gearing down in Baja, and when we get in the tight stuff, my Rekluse equipped bike handles it better than my buddies that don't have one. But for the Colorado Mountains? Man, I don't know about that!!! Those things are brutal with normal gearing!!!

Just remember that the EXP's primary design is 'anti-stall'. Everything is gravy, or not-so gravy.

If you are heavy like me, and ride very steep long hills, like me, you might not like the EXP.

The problem is the clutch is designed to slip until it gets to it's threshold rpm, and then it is essentially locked in place, by centripetal force....but if the load of the rider and gravity combined is too much, and you are not at least 500 rpm's or more above the threshold rpm, the clutch WILL slip.

I found that if you are riding steep switchback uphills, you have to ride in a gear lower than I normally would ride in, just to keep the clutch fully locked. In other words, on hills, I had to go slower, to keep the clutch from slipping. If I shifted up into the bottom end of the powerband (short-shifting) the clutch would always slip and eventually go out of adjustment. A 60 minute uphill switchback trail became boring, because I had to go slow in a lower gear.

The other issue is rear-wheel steering. If you like to steer with the rear wheel with quick shots of throttle, you have to be in and upper rpm to do so, or the clutch will slip. So, again, while the clutch worked as described, it forced me to change my riding style and ride in a gear lower than I would prefer.

...and yes, I talked to Rekluse about it, and eventually got the heaviest wedges, the lightest engagement springs, and fresh plates and oil......which made it better, but did not solve the problem. Rekluse suggested going with the Pro-Start model for my application.

I sold the EXP and went back to manual.

Edited by Krannie