What Tires To Use

Im in northern California and was wondering what the best tires were to use in this area? I have an 03 WR250F and an 08 WR450F. The dunlop tires that came stock on the 450 are S##T to say the least, also the stock suspension setup was crap for me! I have the suspension sorted now but Im wondering what the best all round kind of tire is for this bike? Can anyone suggest what tires are best for the 450 for the winter season? I mostly ride Hollister, Upperlake and in the Tahoe mountain range (Washington above Nevada City).

Some say dunlops, some say maxus! What can you run for the trails where you kind of get all kinds of terrain!?

I hated the stock front and rear tires that came on my wr too, but the funny thing is that when I dropped the rear wheel off to get a new tire, they accidentally gave me a new D756(the same as the stocker) and it was way better than the stock tire. It had the same numbers on the side, but it felt like a completely different tire. I like the maxxis IT better though, as it works just as good but lasts considerably longer. I switched to a trials tire a while back and love that. I will be running that until it gets too wet for it.

I hated the stock front and rear tires that came on my wr too, but the funny thing is that when I dropped the rear wheel off to get a new tire, they accidentally gave me a new D756(the same as the stocker) and it was way better than the stock tire. It had the same numbers on the side, but it felt like a completely different tire. I like the maxxis IT better though, as it works just as good but lasts considerably longer. I switched to a trials tire a while back and love that. I will be running that until it gets too wet for it.

You know a funny thing is I have that very tire on the 250 and liked them but the supposedly same tires that came stock on my new 450 I thought were S##T too!!! Maybe Dunlop screwed Yamaha over!!?

Yeah, they have to be different. The D756 is a pretty damn good tire. I have had few on other bikes, and the only one that ever sucked was the stock one that came on my wr. I ran a D756 all winter last year and it did really well. Dunlop must have made them crappier for Yamaha than for the general public.

Seems to be!

Where do ya ride?

I live in S.F., so pretty much anywhere within about 3 hours of here. Hollister, Metcalf, Carnegie would be the day trip/ Sunday spots. I have kind of started to dislike those spots a bit for being small, so we've been doing a bit more Cow Mtn, Stonyford, Middlecreek. Those 3 are my favorites. I'm always up for new trails though.

I live in S.F., so pretty much anywhere within about 3 hours of here. Hollister, Metcalf, Carnegie would be the day trip/ Sunday spots. I have kind of started to dislike those spots a bit for being small, so we've been doing a bit more Cow Mtn, Stonyford, Middlecreek. Those 3 are my favorites. I'm always up for new trails though.

I havent ridden in bout three months but I spent most of last winter in Hollister, Iv been to cow mountain once so far and loved it, its kinda like troll trail in Hollister. Actually cow was the last time I was out!

My favourite place of all is Washington, a little place just above nevada city/auburn. It is a big endless country up there, we got so deep in the woods the last time I was there that we came across a full size brown bare! That was scary I can tell ya?

I live in SF too, I have always been meaning to get to Metcalf. I heard its not big but it has some nice single track in it?

Bridgestone m602 and m601. They are tuff as all get out. Especially with all the gravel and loose rocks in the ranges theyll last for ever. My first time to the mountain on my wr I had a maxxis motocross tire on it. One day, i repeat one day of ridding and it looked like a beaver had chewed all the treads off. I also suggest if your not planning on jumping and dont mind the extra weight thumpertalk has the extreme tubes that are something like 7mm thick hmmm maybe 6 ...theyre good to keep you from getting stranded on some long forgotten pass