HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Works_Connection

Works Connection Engine Guard for '06-'09 YZ 450

17 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

We just finished a brand new product for us that fits the '06-'09 YZ 450.

Our Aluminum Right Side Engine Guard. (Water Pump Guard)

Here is a picture, and there are more photos and info on our site.

Click the link at the bottom of this post to go directly to the Yamaha section on our site. Choose the year of your YZ 450 and they are at the bottom of the page.

23-115.JPG

Here is the link:

http://www.worksconnection.com/store/index.html?model_id=69&orig_man_id=7

We will also be adding a similar guard for the YZ 250F within the next few months.

Thanks.

...Eric

Wiz636,

Not sure if it will work with the lower head pipe. Probably the easiest way to tell is to see how low the head pipe sticks down compared to the upper motor mount bolt (this is the bolt that the top of our guard uses as a mount). Our guard is about even with the upper bolt. If you go to our website there is a better picture/angle that shows the height.

Thanks.

...Eric

cowboyona426,

Sorry missed seeing your post the first time.

At this time we don't have any plans for the left side. It makes it difficult when there are no stock mounts to tie into easily. Welding tabs is out of the question.

I will look at it again and see if there is any way to make it work.

Thanks.

...Eric

mxjetjockey,

We actually were going to produce one, and still may...The reason we didn't is that the stock one is easy to read, fairly easy to remove and there is not a lot that we could change on the head of the plug to be much different than stock.

We really try and come up with innovative products that are an improvement over stock...on this one we're not sure we could do much? or that our customers would see any value or have any interest in spending their hard earned money on them.

...Eric

The obvious (to me) advantage to an aluminum dipstick plug would be its greater resistance to getting broken off by a rock strike from the front. And frankly, the stock one is not all that easy to get threaded in straight compared to cut metal threads. My son made ours:

(the hose that appears to be connected to it is the pressure balance hose, located behind the dipstick, and not attached to it)

IMG_0600.jpg

grayracer513,

I wasn't aware that people were having problems or that the location of the dipstick had potential for rock damage.

Good info!

I'll do a search or two and see what the scoop is.

Thanks for posting the pic, looks like your son did a great job!

...Eric

The OEM dipsticks can be a little pain in the rear sometimes...I've even heard of people stripping them out :lol:

grayracer513,

I wasn't aware that people were having problems or that the location of the dipstick had potential for rock damage.

It's fairly rare, but it has happened. They break off flush with the cases when they do, leaving just the threads in the hole. PITA to remove. The use of any skid or glide plate that extends up all the way into the gap between the cradle tubes pretty much prevents it, though.

mxjetjockey,

We actually were going to produce one, and still may...The reason we didn't is that the stock one is easy to read, fairly easy to remove and there is not a lot that we could change on the head of the plug to be much different than stock.

We really try and come up with innovative products that are an improvement over stock...on this one we're not sure we could do much? or that our customers would see any value or have any interest in spending their hard earned money on them.

...Eric

This is not a bash so please don't take it as one, but how would an anodized dipstick be much different from the anodized oil cap you guys sell? All you'd have to do wit the dipstick is anodize it in blue or red, make it slightly easier to grab than stock and I'll bet they'd sell, hell I'd buy one. It would go nice with all my other blue anodized WC parts!

As my son discovered when he made ours, a one piece dip stick is a fairly involved bit of machine work. It would be apt to be on the pricey side because of it.

cowboyona426,

Good point. I never take any post on thumpertalk as a bash or take it too personal. Hell it's the internet right:smirk:

If we do decide to make one, I will post it here.

Thanks.

...Eric