Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
budweiserfrog

WR450 Electric Start Confusion

14 posts in this topic

:D My 2005 WR450 while out yesterday developed a confusing problem.

It will start with the kickstart.

It will not start with electric start, even though the starter will spin the engine at a good speed for as long i want, so i've got no battery problems.

It runs rough at low revs similar to as if dirt was in the carb and will stall easily as a result.

My ignition light doesn't come on when the ignition button is depressed, but it does give a quick flash of the red led when i use the kickstarter.

This has me pretty confused and before i strip the bike and go through every connection on the wiring loom maybe some of you guys have some ideas that could save me a load of searching?????? :worthy:

still sounds like a dead battery to me. I've had the same problem when my bike sits too long and I try to use the e-button first. Then the battery goes dead and the first kick gets her runnin. The problem with the e-start is the battery needs to be nearly 90%. The reason it starts so well with the kick is because it doesn't draw the voltage down on the battery when kicking. The ignition circuit doesn't need a lot of voltage, when the starter amperage just draws down the voltage, it's too much for it. Check your charging voltage when the bike is running. Just put a voltmeter directly on the battery terminals and it should be 12.5 to 13.5 volts. If less than 12 volts, you may have other problems.

Just my $.02

Thanks Dube2. I've plenty volts from battery and it doesn't run dead, even if i keep it spinnin for 20-30 seconds.

It still spins good n fast. Battery is less than 6 months old origional replacement from yamaha yuasa.

But still no ignition light. And kicking it will fire it up easily. This all happened half way through my day out.

you say "spin" and no start?

like the engine is not turning over but the starter is?

it is probably your starter clutch(one way bearing)

incorrect pilot jet or fuel screw position.

FIRST check your pilot jet....if its clogged, thats your problem.

SECOND try turning the fuel screw out 1/4 turn at a time and start it. be sure NOT to go past 3 turns...if you need to then put in a bigger pilot(assuming that the pilot jet isn't clogged with bad gas)

When I was messing with the jetting there were times when the e-start had a hard time and the kick start worked better. I had the opposite too. All of it went away when I started using the JD needles for a bong poker. Best use I've found yet:excuseme:

Any variation of throttle opening, small or big makes no difference.

Starter clutch is fine as starter is turning over the engine good and just as much as normal.

Jetting has never been an issue, i had to fine tune it when i bought the bike new a few years ago initially and it has never missed a beat since with over 3000km done now. Bike ran fine for first couple of hours last sunday and first indication of something wrong was spluttering at low speed.

Then after stopping for a few minutes i next noticed i had no ignition light when i depressed the ignition button.

My parking light works fine and i also have both dipped and main beam and tail and brake light.

So all my lights seem to be behaveing as normal when i turn on my ignition switch. As does my starter, which as always cranks over my engine good and lively. The differences obvious to me are the lack af the red light the ignition switch should show and the issue of the bike not fireing up immediately appon pushing the start button. It has always been a very easy bike to start and has always ran smooth.

Carb is clean and free of dirt. Jets are not blocked or dirty. When started it idles perfectly with no roughness apparent at all.

is it the original battery ? there only good for a few years . anything below 12.6 volts is pretty much toast . 12 volts probably wouldn't even turn it over .

mine does the same thing but only cold , works great hot . i just kick it cold , maybe because i can kick faster then the starter . cold just takes about 5 seconds to start compared to one kick .

try jump starting your bike and see if it starts good , i have jumped my bike about 10 times because i usually leave the switch on .

I found the problem. I had no spark when using electric start. I checked wiring loom and found a bad contact in an earth connection. Everything was very wet so i think i should put a tiny bit of grease on the contacts of all the connectors to help prevent moisture from causing bad connections in the future. Would this be a positive idea?