Softer ignition curve for 2008 YZ450

I use my 08 YZ450 for racing enduros and I am looking for a CDI with a softer power curve. Vortex makes a programable ignition but at $500.00 it's over my

pay scale. Is there a stock Yamaha box that will plug in and give a softer curve? Thanks, Dave

have you thought about a heavier flywheel?

LIKE THIS

Thanks for the link. I may add a flywheel weight after the ignition but the problem I have is the advance is too quick at off idle giving the bike a hit. If the spark were retarded at off idle, it would smooth this area out and prevent wheel spin. Does anyone know if the 07 YZ450 CDI has a softer power curve at off idle? I can buy new take off's for $50.00

Thanks, Dave

A heavier flywheel will do just what you need!

The '07 ignition wouldn't make it any smoother.

What about using a WR ignition?

talk with jessie at williamsmotorwerx about the msd ignition.

WR450 ignition systems are incompatible with the YZ electricals.

I believe Graves makes a programmable ignition for the YZ450. It will likely be in the same general price bracket as the other aftermarket ignitions, though.

The '07 ignition wouldn't make it any smoother.

I'm not a fan.

If I had $500 burning a hole in my pocket I'd get a vortex ignition and set it to 11 :D. With the stock WR ignition from about 10% to 100% throttle the response is great but from 1%-9% its kinda soft. I know yamaha did that for tractability reasons and I appreciate it in tighter terrain but in the open its kind of annoying.

With the stock WR ignition from about 10% to 100% throttle the response is great but from 1%-9% its kinda soft. I know yamaha did that for tractability reasons and I appreciate it in tighter terrain but in the open its kind of annoying.

Which is exactly what the OP is wanting.

Which is exactly what the OP is wanting.

Maybe, but unless you rewire the stator and the rest of the bike, the WR CDI simply won't work.