HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DangerRanger245

Oil drain bolt, possibly over-torqued...

4 posts in this topic

Today while changing my oil on my 06 450f I did a dumb thing.

I had my torque wrench set to 20 NM, tightened up the two lower drain bolts, and went to the third one on the oil filter cover, and after an 1/8 to a 1/4 of a turn after it got stiff, I realized i still had the torque wrench on the wrong setting.

I screwed it out, and screwed it back in by hand, and torqued it down to spec. It seemed to grab just fine.

So I overtorqued it by maybe a 1/4 turn, it doesnt leak even after a quick ride around the block, it should be fine, right?

The risk is to pull the threads out of the hole. Sounds like you caught it in time and should be ok.

Yeah I know that one. I looked closely at the bolt when I pulled it, and didnt see any fragments of threads.

I'm just paranoid, this is the first real possible issue on this bike.

Yeah I know that one. I looked closely at the bolt when I pulled it, and didnt see any fragments of threads.

I'm just paranoid, this is the first real possible issue on this bike.

I would much rather have it be the oil filter bold than the drain bolt. When I first bought one of my yzfs, the magnetic drain bolt was stripped and ended up breaking inside the case...that was fun:banghead: Anyways, I think you will be fine