07 yz 450 broken tranny

I am just wondering if I am the only one to break the transmission on a newer YZ 450? This is the second time, I also broke the 3rd wheel gear on my 01 yz 426, which is the same gear I broke on my 07. Only this time it took out the cases too, ouch.

I just finished my 3rd season of riding and did some racing. So I obviously dont have a ton of skill on the bike just a ton of seat time. I guess what I am wondering is this. Should I use the clutch everytime I shift? Some have told me yes and others say no. I do realize that you dont want to bang gears under a full load. Or is the yz tranny that fragile.

Any help would be appreciated

Well, I've never broken one, and neither has my son (who you would think would have, to watch him ride). I don't think I've heard of enough of them breaking to label them as fragile, and the fact that you have broken the same gear in two different transmissions (the '06+ 5 speed is totally different from the one in the 426), well, you see where that points, don't you?

Shifting without the clutch by unloading the trans with the throttle is pretty harmless if the shift is made quickly and cleanly. One of the most abusive things you can do is land the bike with the rear wheel spinning hard. I'm not sure which is worse, landing with the wheel speed high under power, or landing with high rear wheel speed under no power, letting the gears get suddenly backlashed as the wheel slows. Constant clutching is also tough on them. Consider how much of any of this stuff you do, and think about changing your habits if it seems appropriate.

Should I use the clutch everytime I shift? Some have told me yes and others say no. I do realize that you dont want to bang gears under a full load.

No, don't bother using the clutch every shift...A quick blip of the throttle will reduce the load and along with a well timed quick smooth shift, your gears won't know the difference with or without the clutch...Overuse of the clutch will cause heat, friction plate wear, dirty oil, and expensive repairs...

Or is the yz tranny that fragile.

I've put my tranny through some beatings with a lot of sand riding, and have yet to have any issues with it...

One of the most abusive things you can do is land the bike with the rear wheel spinning hard.

I don't really get this...I'm under the thinking you want to really be on the gas when landing...Having had reconstructive spine surgery, I've spent a lot of time refining my riding to be as impactless and smooth as possible, and have found that accelerating while landing makes for a much easier softer transition, on the suspension and body...I'm shocked to see how many people actually land with the clutch pulled in...

Out here at the races, the intermediates and pro practically hit rev limiter before they land. Its like this: Rev limiter-jump-whip-left off gas- rev limiter-land...if that makes any sense. I dont personally do that but I see it every race:ride:

I don't really get this...I'm under the thinking you want to really be on the gas when landing...Having had reconstructive spine surgery, I've spent a lot of time refining my riding to be as impactless and smooth as possible, and have found that accelerating while landing makes for a much easier softer transition, on the suspension and body...I'm shocked to see how many people actually land with the clutch pulled in...
Two things:

> There's a difference between landing with the gas on at landing and landing with the wheel spinning hard, particularly if it's spinning without the benefit of there being very much throttle behind it. If you land power on, with the wheel speed about what the ground speed is, that's not too tough on things. However landing with the wheel turning much faster than ground speed results in a nasty bit of impact delivered to the trans gears on landing, especially if the throttle is not applied just as you land to preload the the gears.

> Landing rear wheel first is not always the softest available way to bring the bike back down. Quite often, landing flat, or even front wheel first is easier, as when landing on a downward sloping landing ramp of a table top or a double. Under those conditions, landing power off or clutched, or at a neutral throttle setting is generally preferable. Watch the fast guys sometimes, then play with it some.