Hardware Removal

Broke my tib/fib one yr ago. :D

Had surgery ... Plate and screws. (titanium)

Thinking about having the hardware removed.

Can anyone share how this experience went ??

I am assuming recovery time willl be MUCH quicker as compared to original surgery ???

My recovery went pretty well, with just about 100% ROM returning. I walk fine, and can run 5 miles no problem.

I do stilll swell up after a long, hard run.

I am thinking that the hardware is causing the swelling.

Welcome all Comments.

Thanks....

How about removing collarbone plates, anybody had any issues?

I'm somewhat considering having mine taken out as it's uncomfortable when driving since the seat belt hits right on top of it. My doc said he wants his patients to keep them in for at least a year before taking them out.

Ankle hardware removal is pretty well tolerated.

I can't say that I have ever even seen a patient that saw the need to come back to see me after the follow up visit for suture removal.

You have patients that pay someone for suture removal? Wusses. :D

We don't charge for suture removal. Its part of the global surgical fee.

Can i get a refund for that part, since I took my own out?

lol, j/k.

fwiw, the plate in my collarbone isn't causing me any particular issues. Unless it does I will probably ignore getting it taken out for the following reasons:

1) I am 47 years old, I'll probably die soon anyway.

2) I don't want to take a few months off of riding to let it heal again.

3) Seems like I can ski, ride, lift, enjoy 'intimacy', and drag my bike out of crocodile infested bouldergardens filled with punji sticks just as well as ever.

I powdered the navicular (ankle) when my peg landed in my ankle in a bad crash. I had the bone replaced with bone from a cadaver and a plate with 3 internal screws and 3 external (poking out) screws. The external screws were removed 4 months after the original surgery. The plate and 3 other screws were in left for another two years.

I had mine removed because one of the screws had started backing out and it was poking out the top of my foot. It was raised about a 1/3 of an inch from the top of my foot and was extremely painful.

I had it removed and the rest of the screws as well as the plate. As I was told, removing the one screw, I would not be able to walk for a day after the surgery. If I got all the hardware removed, I would never have to worry about another screw backing out, or any other hardware problems with my ankle. Taking it all out I was on crutches for 4-5 days.

Hope that helped.

Chris

What are the benifits of removing leg hardware if it isn't coming loose? I have a plate and screws on my fibula. The doctor said I could have it taken out if I wanted to but he wouldn't bother. Couldn't get much of a straight answer out or him. Love my HMO.:D

I don't suppose I could trouble you to elaborate as to why you regret it, so as to make your post somewhat useful to others.

I took a chance, thinking/hoping it would get rid of some pain but it didn't. Regret might not be the word but more so disappointed.

I had some "bumps" on my quadriceps and patellar tendon and after the hardware removal I got a few more somehow. They cause discomfort and my doc said possibly bone fragments.

So that's why I "regret" it. I don't think the actual hardware removal had anything to do with it...just the fact I went under the knife again and that process.

I had a plate and 10 screws removed from my tibia in the ankle area. They where removed after one year. I was in the hospital a total of 3 hours and walked out. I do not regret it one bit. I was bothered by the screws rubbing on my shoes, I could feel the screws, there was much pain if bumped. I do feel my range of motion improved some from the removal. It does still hurt some when bumped,where the hardware, was but I can touch the are some now. Before when the hardware was there I could not touch my skin.

I've broken mine with hardwhere in there and bent the plate. I gotta say it wasnt as bad as it sounds. The great thing was it was being held together by the plate so my tib couldnt flop around the 2nd time. Then I had it roded by dr. mark... If I didnt feel like paying 2500 bucks for my decutable I'd have had it out by now.

Thanks Skid ..... thats what I wanted to hear. I will more than likely get mine removed also. How long before you were 100% again ?? Running, Riding, etc ??

I ran the next week, I took off riding for two weeks to let the holes fill in.