HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stev0

15-46 WR450F 2006 gearing

8 posts in this topic

Is the 15-46 gearing too tall for the bike? I mainly do dual sport rides and to me the 200mile trips are killing me around a vibratious 60-70mph. Id love to have it purr along at that speed with much less vibrations.

how badly will the gearing affect ridability in the sand? Im usually in 3rd gear anyways but sometimes 2nd is needed.. will i still be able to do those kind of things in 2nd and 3rd?

Bike still has throttlestop and the AIS.

I have my 05 WR450 geared 15-47 for the street and it does pretty well. Even so, it doesn't exactly purr along at 70 mph. The vibes will still put your hands to sleep after 30 mins or so. I'd actually like to go a bit taller, but can't find anything between 47 and 42 teeth for the rear.

I took a trip this last spring in which I did three 300+ mile days and managed it ok. I just had to stand up a lot of the time.

Offroad, the gearing is a bit high for anything technical, but I would think sand riding would definitely be doable. I'd say 15-46 is definitely worth it. I can't imagine goind 70 mph with the stock gearing.

Marshal Giles , what seat do you have on your bike? What are your service intervals like?

I have 15/48 on mine, and it makes it better for on road cruising but it's not as fun as as stock gearing off road, makes it feel underpowered. (maybe im just getting too use to it)

Marshal Giles , what seat do you have on your bike? What are your service intervals like?

I still have the stock seat, hence the reason I had to stand up much of the time on my trip. I've never thought about getting a softer seat, actually.

I change the oil at about 500-700 miles.