Immobilizer...........

Has anyone fitted some sort of immobilser to their WR???

Im scared to death of leaving mine anywhere, i dont even want to stop at the shops just incase someone decides to walk past my bike, jump on it, kick it up and away they go. It would be so easy for an opportunist thief to take it in seconds!!!!

So is there some sort of device available thats easy to fit?

Thanks, Rich. :lame:

I'm not aware of any that is easy and theft proof . Heck I'm not even aware of anthing that is theft proof . most of what's out there will just keep a lazy theif honest . I was talking on here about putting a 110 volt inverter on my bike hooked to a mercury switch with a latch circuit . But there is no room on my bike for that . I could do the same thing but make a small container filled with mace with a and a very small explosive charge . when I take mine somewhere I just don't go far away from the bike.

Hahaha i like the mace idea!

Im thinking of just putting a hidden switch in somewhere, so i can flick it and it cuts the fuel off or something, or maybe a switch in line with the cdi or something?

I just want something simple really so they cant just jump on, fire her up, and away they go. It would probably be gone round here if i leave it for even a few minutes unattended. :lame:

Has anyone fitted some sort of immobilser to their WR???

Im scared to death of leaving mine anywhere, i dont even want to stop at the shops just incase someone decides to walk past my bike, jump on it, kick it up and away they go. It would be so easy for an opportunist thief to take it in seconds!!!!

So is there some sort of device available thats easy to fit?

Thanks, Rich. :lame:

Have a look here , might be what your looking for.I like the brake lever lock.

http://www.ballards.cc/Text/1202884879999-5388/pC/1202869851119-8610/CATALOGUE-2008

a simple on/off switch ran in parallel to your kill switch - if you hold down the killswitch you Can't start the bike - period.

Just tie in under your tank so it's not easily accessible and find a nice hidden place but easily accessible by you (there's about 50 on a normal bike) to put the switch.

Should cost you about 50 cents in parts.

Cheers all.

I like the idea of a key and ignition but i assume i wont be able to use a steering lock with it on my 08?

This kill switch idea sounds good though. As long as they dont know its there, then its not going anywhere really. Also, a disc lock is a good idea too, would need to get a fender bag for it though.

matt4x4, i assume with this switch permanantly on, it wont drain the battery or anything? Any idea what sort of switch id need and any particular rating or anything?

Thanks, Rich.

all the kill switch does is cut off spark to the sparkplug, pressing it permanently does nothing since the spark comes from the stator (not the battery) and the bike needs to run to make spark, no run, no spark, switch does not allow it to provide spark so it won't run - vicious circle.....worst they will do is kill your battery cranking it.

The other thing I've often thought to do is take the chain off and bag it and take it with me - that's only about 30 seconds to take off and 2 minutes to put on - however - you get dirty without gloves.

Any switch will do - i would get one you can flick with your gloves on so it's easy to do if you forget after suiting up.

Then just mount/silicone it somewhere you can still reach it but it and associated wiring is completely out of sight - rating is irrelevant - just look at the wonderful 40 year old completely unchanged technology beside your left thumb next time you ride.

lrgtoggle.gif

The problem with this method is chance of doing damage,when some !@#$%^&*((*&^ try's to move your bike.

better than not having a bike.

i use a padlock on my rear disc when its just sitting in the shed stupid me always forgets about it and go to move my bike, but luckily i havnt tried to move my bike with the motor running.

im getting used to it and remember now days though.

it would suck if your at the shop lock your bike get back on it after your finished doing whatever your doing and go to ride off and forget about the lock.:D

Go to a bike scrap yard and get a keyed ignition switch for any bike. Cut the connector off, test the wires with a meter and find a switched pair of wires, then splice the pair into the wire from the battery to the power button (brown ??). The keyed switch is now in series with the power button. When you remove the key, the button switch will not pass power anymore and the bike can not be started. Works great, done it to 2 bikes now. I used to use hidden switches, but I worried somebody would see me use the switch.