Battery wr400.How to???

Looks just like my Radio Shack version but mine claims 50w. I guess i'll be hooking one back up. Stole my LED tailight off my other bike and it won't even glow at idle. The other bike has a tiny stator but would power it at idle. Need to order a battery now.

Hey, sorry I'm late to the party. There is a rectifier on the WR for DC output because coils are DC and the ignition box maybe also. I can't find my wiring diagram just now to check. Unfortunately, I don't know have much output is there.

By the way, Vespa scooters had AC horns on them.

Hey all, I'm hoping to resurrect this thread. We are in the middle of attempting a DC dual sport street legal conversion for my son's '99 Wr400 and we are confused on the regulator. I ride XR's and have done a few conversions on them. The stock XR regulator has 4 leads, two of them, the green (ground) and W/Y (hot) go to the lighting side of the bike, except that the ground wire splits and also goes to the coil where it grounds to chassis. On the Honda, I simply splice the ground, letting the wire continue to the coil and send the new spliced in lead to the 4 pole rectifier. The W/Y wire I cut, bypassing the OEM hot leads to lightrs and run it to the rectifier. From there to battery, new wiring harness, combi switch, voile, EASY! Problem with the WR is, there are only TWO wires coming from the stock regulator. How do I handle these two wires in order to get hot and common leads to rectifier? I am trying to avoid completely dismantling the wiring harness which would let me trace wires but would be a hassle. What are the two wires coming from the WR regulator? One hot and one common? Do they split and go to the ignition side of the bike or is the ignition not being fed through the regulator? How do I route the two wires from the regulator to the new rectifier and if I need to splice, where do I do it at? Any help would be appreciated. We are doing a run into the Grand Canyon in a few weeks and we need street legal to run in National Park.

see pm Elmbow.

Cheers

Gday guys. Been some time since I first talked about this mod !!! I have finally got around to finishing it. Works a treat. Only really worthwhile though if you want to run DC accesories like my GPS. Does get around the Yellow headlight at idle issue though.

Now this is not anything to do with Electric start. In my opinion not a feasable option at all. Buy a WR450 if you want elec leg.

This is purely to get DC on a WR400 and a battery to smooth it out and keep a reasonably costant voltage. The WR400 ( Aus version anyway ) is definately AC only, there is no DC on board at all. The lights etc all run off the AC lighting coil quite happily. Mine now all run off DC and it makes no difference to anything. The first pic shows the GPS mount and power socket with the toggle switch for power when motor off. Second pic shows location of relay and rectifier.

13042009003.jpg

13042009001.jpg

Hey all, I'm hoping to resurrect this thread. We are in the middle of attempting a DC dual sport street legal conversion for my son's '99 Wr400 and we are confused on the regulator. I ride XR's and have done a few conversions on them. The stock XR regulator has 4 leads, two of them, the green (ground) and W/Y (hot) go to the lighting side of the bike, except that the ground wire splits and also goes to the coil where it grounds to chassis. On the Honda, I simply splice the ground, letting the wire continue to the coil and send the new spliced in lead to the 4 pole rectifier. The W/Y wire I cut, bypassing the OEM hot leads to lightrs and run it to the rectifier. From there to battery, new wiring harness, combi switch, voile, EASY! Problem with the WR is, there are only TWO wires coming from the stock regulator. How do I handle these two wires in order to get hot and common leads to rectifier? I am trying to avoid completely dismantling the wiring harness which would let me trace wires but would be a hassle. What are the two wires coming from the WR regulator? One hot and one common? Do they split and go to the ignition side of the bike or is the ignition not being fed through the regulator? How do I route the two wires from the regulator to the new rectifier and if I need to splice, where do I do it at? Any help would be appreciated. We are doing a run into the Grand Canyon in a few weeks and we need street legal to run in National Park.

I have the exact same question, instead of PM'ing, is there anyone who knows the answer to this? And can post the answer, so as to assist future seekers???

I have everything I need to finish this conversion, the entire bike is set up, I just need a reliable power source and am stuck on the regulator wiring, or where to tap in with my rectifier.....