Battery wr400.How to???

Hey guys

I own a wr400 2000 modeland i am keen on putting a batery in it so i can have electric start, run led's etc etc.

So i was wondering how i can put a battery in it.

Do i need a diffrent flywheel or anything

Cheers guys thanks for the feedback

you can run LED's off your existing circuits - I believe your rear might be DC - if not, make a voltage rectifier from 4 diodes and a cap. - should get you close to 6v dc then figure out your LED's from there using an LED calculator available on line.

Or you can just get one of those small emergency lighting batts, put it in the airbox, run your LEDs and charge it every few weeks - they hold lots of juice.

Speaking of Juice - OJ got his!!! :D:worthy::ride: :ride:

LEDs run fine on the AC power you have now. The only problem is running a LED flasher/controlleras it'll want DC. To run a thermal flasher a resistor has to be added. Radio Shack sells a small rectifier to get you DC but when i tried one the output (volts) spiked all over. I'm not smart enough to tell you why as power was coming from the AC rectifier supplying no more than 13volts. If you want a battery mount a small nicad pack in the airbox. A small lead acid, like a home alarm back up, will fit to.

Im guessing the Australian delivered WRs must have a rectifier on board already ? anyone know if it is on all the lighting or just the indicator circuits ? Any ideas on its current capacity ? Ive been pondering the addition of a battery on my WR400 for a while now, just the catalyst I need ! I need DC for my GPS and maybe charger for the UHF.

Im guessing the Australian delivered WRs must have a rectifier on board already ? anyone know if it is on all the lighting or just the indicator circuits ? Any ideas on its current capacity ? Ive been pondering the addition of a battery on my WR400 for a while now, just the catalyst I need ! I need DC for my GPS and maybe charger for the UHF.

Don't plug that GPS in yet. I'm ignorant of the Aussie bikes but why do you think it has a rectifier? There's no logical reason it would have one if there is no battery. Unless. Do you have a horn? If so trace that power back to a rectifier. It will be DC. I saw a simple setup here for GPS/cell charger that would give you what you want. Gotta run a Reg/Rec to get 12v DC then run the power through a diode to a small battery. The diode is a one way path only allowing charging power in and stopping power from going back to the lights. Then pull power of the batt. to your electronics. Nicads would be smaller/lighter but a lead acid batt. would last longer with the large amount of charging cycles.

LilBit, the Aus delivered WRs have a horn and indicators, number plate light and front and rear brake light switches, and obviously a high/low beam headlight and a Tail/brake light, with a handlebar cluster switch block thing. I will grab a multimeter and do some probing and see what I can work out, I will post results.

From what I can gather the rego gear was fittted in Aus pre delivery, it is a good setup from a wiring point of view, quite tidy etc, I dont have an Aus wiring diagram only the original WR diagram which is the same as a US delivered one.

Well that settles it then. If you have a horn then you have DC to it. If you only have one regulator then the whole system must be DC. As i understand it all regulator/rectifiers require a battery or capasitor to funtion properly. They absorb voltage spikes. Yours would likely be a capasitor.

Well i cant find any sign of the DC. My bike seems to be all AC. the horn is actually missing, its cable and bracket is there though as is the horn button etc. Could it be possible Yamaha Aus used a DC horn with a basic diode bridge built in to rectify the AC to DC but only at the horn ?

Well i cant find any sign of the DC. My bike seems to be all AC. the horn is actually missing, its cable and bracket is there though as is the horn button etc. Could it be possible Yamaha Aus used a DC horn with a basic diode bridge built in to rectify the AC to DC but only at the horn ?

I guess so. One just big enough to run a horn could be small. Have you talked yourself out of a battery?