Oil Leak..please Help

Hi guys, im a total newb. i have a 2007 yz450 and i changed the oil filter and now when i start it up and as it gets hot, oil leaks from where the oil filter is. i have changed the oil religiously about every 2 to 5 hours. this is my first 4 stroke.

thanks in advance

make sure all the o-rings are in place, if they are there then i would install new ones

cool deal.

i think i will just replace it because it seems to be in place.

thanks

make sure the allen screw on the bottom of the oil filter cover isn't stripped or missing the copper compression washer.. those are so easy to strip out, torque it every time I think 7 ft lbs (learned this the hard way)

awesome guys, thanks.

is there any possible theories of any thing else going wrong. if it helps it only leaks from the top and no where else. it would just kinda flow out but i will definitely check the o-rings.

just sounds like the o rings. as long as the cover bolts are tight. make sure the mating surfaces are clean when u put the cover on. any bit of dirt or debris can cause a leak

make sure the allen screw on the bottom of the oil filter cover isn't stripped or missing the copper compression washer.. those are so easy to strip out, torque it every time I think 7 ft lbs (learned this the hard way)

There's no copper washer on any of the filter cover bolts. the most common reason they leak is that one of the four O-rings, usually one of the three smaller ones, drops in the drain pan unnoticed. The second most common reason is something under the cover, as suggested.

The reason the bolt strips is because there is a drain passage leading from the filter well to that threaded hole. This allows debris to build up there, and damage the threads as you remove the bolt. Read:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=575367

This can be completely prevented and permanently cured:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634724