HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
99ncxj

Ideal bar width on 426 for Woods Riding

3 posts in this topic

Hello, thought i'd make my first post a question. Several years ago I raced NCHSA hare scrambles and a few GNCC races on a KDX200 in 200B class.

I have since then quit racing but now that I have kids that ride I picked up a 2002 426 a while back. I'm in the process of swapping it over to more of a woods bike. I've dropped a tooth on the countershaft sprocket (hoping to be able to lugg it around more), ordered some bark busters, swapped out the stiff springs for some stockers, and some little things. I'm even thinking about a flywheel weight if it still wants to take off like a rocket.

My question is regarding bar width. I used to cut all my woods race bikes bars down to 29.5" but that was on a kdx. I'm thinking the 426 (with out a steering stabilizer ) that might be a little too narrow. What do you guys think? and yes, I like single track trails and "trying" to do them at break neck speeds...at least I feel like i'm going that fast.

What measurements are you guys using?

Also, any tips on the 426 would be great.

Welcome.

I run mine at their out of the box 800mm width, but I'm not a woods rider. Trees change things for many people. Let's see what others say.

yea, i like the full size bar width for track riding, but this will be my woods bike. those trees don't budge when you hit them.