Ty Davis banned from Best in the Desert series..

Mr Folks needs to let people know whats going on. To ban someone in public and think it makes a difference on others behavior wont work unless he lets people know the behavior he is objecting too.

I have noticed that many bigshots feel the rules don't apply to them.

I think one of the reasons NASCAR is so popular is because they enforce the rules and don't make exceptions.

I usally read about this stuff in Cycle News, it's nice to hear from people who were there.

I went to check out the thread on Destry's site, and he had deleted the whole thing. I guess it was getting out of line.

Umm, that was your brother...

True...

One thing's for sure is that KTM and Honda do a great job in the desert promoting their product in a professional manner. Kawasaki is just the opposite of Yamaha.. They have an old bike with bold new graphics year after year and almost nobody buys the bikes they race yet they show up and offer pit support for any rider on a green bike and they have their box vans planted at every pit in the desert. Destry Abbott and Shane Esposito are the coolest guys too.

Do you remember "Revenge of the Nerds"? The cool jocks in the movie remind me of Team Honda.. They have all the money and have corporate dudes everywhere.. KTM is on the move big time. They have the bikes,support and professional attitude. Then there's Yamaha.. Ty's box van.... That's it...... Maybe they really don't need to promote their product, it sells anyway, why have a big budget.

Did he really drive on the course? Or ride his bike on the course? When I broke down in Baja my dad was on his way to come rescue me on his bike with tow-strap and all (I made in eventually). Does this mean that I should be thrown out of the club forever?

Dan

Dan,

SCORE racing is an entirely different gig than BITD of course. Heck they don't even stop the traffic on the many highways they run on. Sal told us last year at the Baja-500 that if we got caught speeding on the highways....uhhh I mean race course....that we could get a ticket.

I do agree with you that Davis and Pearson shouldn't of been made an example of, but then I still don't have the full "true" story. Destry said on his web site that he heard the details, although he didn't relay them, and he thinks Davis and Russ shouldn't of been punished like they were.

I raced at a couple of desert events where Kawasaki changed tires for ANYONE on any bike for nothing. I love my yamahas but if Kawsaki had good off-road bike, I'd be gone.

I just got second hand info on the ban. When the Davis/Pearson bike broke. Mr Davis asked Casey Folks if he could go out and tow his partner in. Casey Folks answer was no. Ty Davis rode out and towed him in anyway. With another motorcycle, not the box van. The box van makes for a better story but it is not true. I guess the Davis /Pearson team broke a rule. Should they be banned for life or as long as Casey Folks is in charge is up for debate. Will Yamaha step in? Should they not be able to compete for a race or two? Are they being made examples of? Is there some bad blood there? What do you all think?

This is a hard thing for me to say, As I very much admire both these riders. However, these guys are "Out Front" representatives of our sport and are setting the example for our young folks. They should be held to the highest standards of competition. It is my humble opinion that both of these riders should be disqualified from the BID for the remainder of the series, but not permanently. Knowing that the situation was highly emotionally charged, especially for Casey, I understand his initial rage....Hopefully when the dust settles the Ban will be properly ammended.

Occaisionally a hero needs to fall from the pedistal to keep the others grounded... I really hate that it had to be my hero....But alas they are all human.

Bonzai :)

Although Yamaha's offroad program is not as big as Honda's or Kawi's doesn't mean they are just going to set back and let their star riders get booted especially now that Ty is stepped up again and winning championships. I believe Yamaha will, if they haven't already, try to step in and pursade Casey to reconsider such a brutal punishment. Maybe a season ban would be better.

Hopefully Casey has cooled down a bit. It will be hard for him to change his ruling though since he made it so public. He is a strong willed person, he doesn't back down easily.

The vehicle next to ours in the pits was monitoring the BITD radio frequency and had their speaker turned up pretty loud. I heard a request come over the radio asking for permission to go retrieve a vehicle off the race course then heard Casey come on and say, "Absolutely not."

I don't know who the requestor was, but maybe...

Another thing the critics don't consider is the interaction between the three men involved when the riders were told they broke the rules. Did Casey possibly tell them they would be penalized 15 minutes for their disregard of others' safety only to have the guys lash out at him in such a manner that they ended up with a penalty much worse than they had originally been given?

It's too simple to suggest that Casey made a snap decision in the heat of the moment. He's no dummy. I'm quite sure he considered the ramifications of sending these guys packing.

Davis is really lucky nobody ran into him. If this had happened people would be saying, "Casey should have better control of his events and not have allowed this to happen, blah, blah, blah..."

If you're someone who thinks Casey can't ban anyone from his races or think Yamaha or Ty can get it over turned, well, you don't know Casey. Casey is extremely passionate about his events (something I wish more promoters were) and his word is final.

I'm sure it was very difficult for Casey as he's known the Pearsons since they were in diapers and he's known their dad and uncle for much longer. This is like Casey telling his own kids they can't race bitd anymore.

I myself was used as an "example" at a Nevada Rally for something my crew did and it was not fun. Casey does not hold back.

Let's hope it turns out to be only a single year ban for Russ and Ty after the dust settles.

Maybe Ty will start racing some of the 4-stroke nationals and six-days (we'll have a good team this year).

"slorenze", thanks for all the great info.

Tim

I don't understand why Ty would ride backwards on the track. When I came through the first lap I had just went over a main road crossing and I shortly after that Russ Pearson was pushing his bike back to the road crossing. You would think Ty would have driven down the main road. As for Caseys dicission I understand he sticks to the rules and you have to like that except cases like this.

Ben

Just a thought here

If the BITD is not sanctioned by any governing board ama fim or NOW :)

I was wondering outside of any big name sponsors, television coverage and so on is this race.

I never heard of the BTID until now, not on speed, or any other rag I have read.

So my thought is, if this is not that big of a race whats the big deal

Ty looses no money no points nothing but maybe some egg on his face and a slap on the hand.

I dont know enough about it then just that so if Casey bans him so what who is casey anyway he has no pull with the AM FIM or what does he?

or is he like the guys who tried to get MXDN and screwed it all up a power hungry little napoleon

My point is that ty is a professional he knows the rules as well as anyone, he also knows that thi srace is nothign to him but practice and a title that menas nothing on paper just prestige

So he got caught big freakin deal, its a joy ride weekend for him.

I am not putting down the race at all I knwo alot of peoepl ride hard and race hard in it.

I am just looking at it from a professional carrer I hope point of view. It actually did not hurt ty at all, why shoudl he comment.

BITD has been around since the 80's. They are no little organiztion. They do some of the biggest desert races on the west coast. Vegas to Reno, Nevada 1000, and 2000. Parker 250,425. Adelanto. If you have not heard of those then where have you been?

John,

Your're sounding like a card carrying member of the Metal militia again :)

Bonzai :D

I have heard of Parker and nevada

I never heard of the BITD

After all I just got back into swing of thigs after 16 years

Back when I new about Parker 400 and Adelanto it was telvised on Wide World of Sports.

Sorry for having my head in the sand, but I was just thinking a what if Ty just did not care becouse it was a practice sessin to him

Metal Malisha?

Geez Kaze Im hurt I am going now :)

I did say I did not know anything about the event did I not. I was just speculating asking

Why would Ty Davis jepordize his Carrer ?

I dont think he would have if the Race was a Carrer needed race, thats all I am throwing out

Whats MX also :D

I just dont understand what was wrong with Ty going out to pick up his partner! Do I really think Ty or any profesional racer would ride backwords on a marked race course? "Hell No" I could see him following the course and beeing somewhat near the course, but not on it.

Before every desert race my dad and myself talk about what he should do if I dont make it back to the pits or to the finish line. What my father does is find out from the MC club and find the last check point I passed, then he will come out and find me. Yes, he follows the course, he stays around 25 yards from the course.

Desert racers know that if you brake down stay with your bike and a sweeper will be by, then he tells one of the members of the club and they come out and help ya. I waited for 2-3 hrs for someone to tow me back to the pits. I would do the same thing that Ty did if my partner was broke down in the desert. I would hate to see Ty banded from the BITD, he's truley a real profesional in the sport and a good role model. My boy always tells me that when he grows up he wants to be like Ty Davis. :)

I never heard of the BTID until now, not on speed, or any other rag I have read.

So my thought is, if this is not that big of a race whats the big deal - Ty looses no money no points nothing but maybe some egg on his face and a slap on the hand.

I dont know enough about it then just that so if Casey bans him so what who is casey anyway he has no pull with the AM FIM or what does he?

or is he like the guys who tried to get MXDN and screwed it all up a power hungry little napoleon

My point is that ty is a professional he knows the rules as well as anyone, he also knows that thi srace is nothign to him but practice and a title that menas nothing on paper just prestige

So he got caught big freakin deal, its a joy ride weekend for him.

If "cyberdom" is anywhere near Nevada then you should come out to a BITD event some time to spectate. I'm not trying to belittle you, I'm just meaning that if you did you would see that these are great events with big sponsors.

Have you ever heard of SCORE? They promote the Baja 500 & 1000. Just think of BITD being a competing series which gets better bike entries but less car/truck entries. It's not a "joy ride weekend" for them, it's part of a series and it's important enough that for some of these guys just being a potential winner doing BITD and the Hare & Hound series is enough to earn them a factory ride. They get factory riders from Honda, KTM, Kawi., Yamaha (Ty and Russ), and Husky was in it until a year ago. Believe it, they are big events. Read more of the dirt mags and you will for sure see something about these events.

My bet is that Casey could care less about having a large sanctioning body behind him. It has nothing to do with having "pull" with the ama or fim.

"yzboy" - The issue might not be simply that he went out to get Russ. Casey has rules and while he can get somewhat fanatical about things I'm sure he has reasons for all of them. Sure Ty could have (and maybe did) go out on the route 25 yards from the marked course, but then that opens Casey up to a can of worms with the Land Management people. He also tries his best to keep everyone as safe as possible - what if something bad happened while Ty was out there? Casey could then find himself in a mess with his insurance. Who knows.

Personally I really like how tight Casey runs things.

If you compare the BITD events to SCORE (the most similar type events) the BITD are run by a former hard-core racer who honestly cares about the racers, the race, and the sport in general where with score I can't say the same.

Tim

Yz boy made a very good point maybe I was missing trying to stimulate why this happened question

I just dont understand what was wrong with Ty going out to pick up his partner! Do I really think Ty or any profesional racer would ride backwords on a marked race course? "Hell No" I could see him following the course and beeing somewhat near the course, but not on it.

In this statement it kind of answers itself and asnwers my original point.

Do I really think Ty or any profesional racer would ride backwords on a marked race course?

That was my point, he went back to get his partner / friend

In a race that was for points / championship or would have mattered to Ty do you honestly think he would have stopped unless some one was hurt bad

Answer NO WAY NOT ON YOUR LIFE

That was my point I tried to make

Ty turned around went back becouse the Race is not Carreer factor to him or Yamaha.

I am sure this race is a big deal, I dont watch Speedway racing much only know the big GP races held yearly, so I am sure there are other events that are as big but dont get televised.

Personally I think the whole matter is no matter at all for Davis, otherwise he would have said something already some sort of press conf. I think probably Casey is using it more to his advantage and power

Riding 25 yards off the the race course might be the problem. It might be that the BLM would put the rest of the Best of the Desert races in jeopardy. BLM might require that no one is allowed to be off the course. One might run over some wildlife. I don't think Ty would be stupid enough to ride backwards during the race. He is good but, guys coming at you haulin ass might be a bit tough to go around.

What about the companys that support Ty. Can't advertise, "My double throw down widget that Ty Davis used to get banned for life with". That doesn't sound real good.

It sucks about the ban. I think maybe he should not allowed to compete in the next race. Thus making hard to win the over all title.