2 stroke mix in a 450?

Does anyone know of any issues (plug fowling/power loss etc) from running a 40:1 two stroke mix in their 4 stroke? I always have too much going to waste after using the 125 so it would be sweet if I could use it up in the 450.

Cheers

I accidentally dumped about a gallon of 32:1 for my son's YZ250 into my 450. Once I realized it I stopped and topped off with regular gas. This was in my IMS 3.2 gal tank so the resutling mix was roughly 96:1. Never noticed any difference except that the exhaust smelled good.

Typically when I have premix (from the YZ250, chainsaw, weed eater, etc.) that is getting old I just dump it in the creek. Lol...just kidding. I dump it into my kid's cars. A gallon or two of premix mixed in with the amount of fuel a car hold is no problem.

As mentioned, if you don't thrash the bike, it's unlikely to do any harm, but you would be much better off putting in a full car tank of gas.. Because of the oil mixed with the gas, your engine will run leaner with this fuel and the oil will cause deposits (soot) which whilst unlikely to damage anything aren't meant to be in your engine. The same is true on a car engine, but your car engine is tuned to a much lower level than your motorbike, so the engine suffers far less from the oil mixture, and the car gas tank has far more gas in it, so the oil mixture gets diluted to the point that it's almost like pure gas..

If you jetted for it....it would run fine. I don't even think build ups or gunk would be an issue at all if it were a decent premix.

But as a side note, I run it in my z50 when I don't have any other gas and that is often (big bore 88 high compression etc...) and it runs fine.....that bike runs on almost anything though...

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know of any issues (plug fowling/power loss etc) from running a 40:1 two stroke mix in their 4 stroke? I always have too much going to waste after using the 125 so it would be sweet if I could use it up in the 450.

Cheers

I ran 40:1 in my 04 it ran fine.

1011081518.jpg

I've run 32:1 (left over from my 490) in my '00 426 when I was out of straight gas. I really didn't notice any difference in power or performance. The bike smoked very slightly, but it was hard to notice.

I never really thought about potential jetting problems, as I usually run at sea level to about 2K feet.