'04 WR450 E-start wont work but turns over

the E-start wont work on my '04 WR450 and hasn't for a while. the battery was dead so i was fine kickstarting it for a few rides to get it charged. now that it is charged it will turn the motor over a few times but each time it gets weaker and weaker until it cant turn it over any more. just to make sure it is not the battery i tried a brand new one with the same results. I don't know that much about electrical systems on bikes and don't want to just start tearing into anything related to it. any suggestions of where to start?

That looks great! battery is charged with key off, and charging tot he correct voltage with engine running!

So, the only thing i've ever seen at this point is loose connections to the starter, or the internal resistance of the battery is bad.

Can you tell us what the voltage is during cranking?

Amps to a starter motor is really hard to measure, because the current is very high.

Usually if you see less than 8v during cranking, then your battery isn't good. Even a new battery can have internal issues. Where did you buy it? Can you exchange it?

What about the brushes inside the starter motor? Anyone had experience with these worn out? What are the symptoms?

I'm having the same type problem, VOM reads:

Started at idle 13.5 head light off

started with head light on 12.6

started at 3500 (approx) 13.5 head light on

battery peters out after 3 or 4 seconds.

Does it sound like the battery will not hold the charge, or is the bike not putting out enough to charge the battery?

Thanks