Yzf400 pops and snaps where do I start

Ok I have a 99 YZF400 stock with a whitebrothers muffler the one with the baffels like a supertrap. I just adjusted the valves because it pops alot and they were way off not much clearance. That didnt help it runs great if Im crusing but I cant get it to idle yet and if you just grab the throttle it pops and snaps alot almost like a back fire. Im guna check the valve clearances again tomarrow but some direction might help. Thanks.

Ok well I checked the hot start and didnt find anything and I put a clamp on the line to the head to eliminate that. I tried adjusting the idle mixture but I still cant get it to Idle at all. If I have the choke out it will fire right up and Idle but high as expected but one I push it in it will die. I kept it running and sprayed eather around the intake boots and intake and id never reved up at all so there shouldnt be an air leak. I dont know what I should do about checking the exh. Thanks so far.

I guess Ill have to pull the carb again and Ill just get new jets they are cheap. I pulled it because before it would fire right up one kick with the choke on but die after 3 seconds and there was no way to keep it going. I found one of the jets pluged with corrosion since there was probably water in the bowl for a while the screw holding the float on was all rust. I guess Ill have to just clean the carb again and see what happens. i still dont have a manual Im trying to get one. Is there a link to the breakdown of the carb and what jets are what.

i still dont have a manual Im trying to get one. Is there a link to the breakdown of the carb and what jets are what.
You newbies really should spend some time looking at the Common Threads Sticky.

Manuals:

http://www.yamahaownershandbook.com.au/?r=0

There should be no reason to replace the jets. If you have access to a set of small number drills (#80 up through about #15), use the largest drill you can push through the jet without removing any metal.

Well Im not much of a newbie just confused on the dilema. Never had a problem like this. Also this web site is way different than the ones iv been using. I just bought the bike Wed night pulled the oil filter and it was full of metal shavings. Thursday night I had it to the bare case to replace all the bearings and had it back together friday night. I just dont have a manual yet and found this web sight this weekend. Thanks for the help though.