07 wr 450, Valve check, adjustment?

Checking the valves requires:

-Seat and tank removal

-Head stay removal

-AIS valve removal (if still equipped)

-valve cover removal.

Very involved IMO.

Adjusting the valves is just like any other DOHC shim under bucket bike. It helps to have narrow feeler gauges as the middle intake is a tight fit.

Its really easy. Take your time and follow some detailed instructions.

Get bike to TDC

Take valve cover off

Get gauges under cams to measure gaps

Removal of the cam caps is easy but you will need a torque wrench to put them back on. All I do when it comes to replacing the shims is to work out what you need, take your old ones to the shop and swap for new sized ones. Sometimes they will gove you money for the old ones :excuseme:

There is a great site to help you along:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/valves.htm

It's really easy to check them - you'll have your bike back together in an hour and it's not very technical.

You can always do the adjusting at a later date and save yourself buying a shim kit until you know whether you need it or not. Once measured and recorded and current shim size recorded, you can calculate what shims you need (If you even need them) - order them from your local dealer or on line (or honda - more shim size selection) and save yourself a lot of money compared to buying an entire kit where 90% of the shims will not be used. Future clearance checks will be even faster since you only need to remove the cams the first time you do it to see what size you have in there - after that, it's periodic checks that take 45 minutes tops unless you change out shims.

order them from your local dealer or on line (or honda - more shim size selection) and save yourself a lot of money compared to buying an entire kit where 90% of the shims will not be used.

Tru dat.... I have a HotCams shim kit that came in two separate cases with probably 30 different shim sizes, I have only used four different sizes :excuseme: