Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bhsballer76

chain and sprockets

13 posts in this topic

hey all, i am going to be needing a new chain for my bike. I know i need to by the sprockets as well. Its going on a 2003 yz450f with the 4spd tranny. My question is what gearing should i go with?? What is stock?? I would like something trick looking in color( maybe blue or black rear sprocket and maybe a gold looking chain) but i dont have too much to spend.. WHere is the best place to buy these for the best price?? Thanks alot to all.

Stock gearing is 48/14. I used to run 49/15 on my '03 so it had a little more on top. That was a little bit tall on a very tight track, or on steep, twisty, technical climbs, so I sometimes switched it back to 49/14.

Without breaking the bank, you can get a very good drivetrain setup. Start with a Regina ORN6 chain. If you take care of it, and lay off the pressure washer, it will last at least a year, maybe two. Tag Metals rear sprockets are light, hard anodized for good wear, and reasonably priced. Any decent front sprocket will do, just stay away from the really cheap ones, and remember that the flat side goes out.

For price and quality the Regina ORN6 chain is hard to beat. For sprockets that look cool/quality like the TAG also take a look at the new Pro Taper sprockets. I had a Pro Taper sprocket on the back of my '08 for awhile and it held up pretty good.

thanks.... can you guys reccomend a place to buy these??

ALso, what length chain will i be needing for my 2003??. I will proabably stick with stock gearing on the bike

114 links is stock for '03 YZ450F, page 50 of the manual. I usually just get a 120 and cut to the length I need.

114 links is stock for '03 YZ450F, page 50 of the manual. I usually just get a 120 and cut to the length I need.

thanks. you have been helpful. How do you cut them??? as you can probably tell i have never bought a chain before..

I'm going to disagree with that one. I have had two of the MP chain breakers fail (broken drive pin) including the free one the parts store replaced the first one with. Unless they have seriously improved, they aren't up to the job.

Instead, I recommend either the 805330 or 805000 on this page:

http://www.reginachain.it/eng/use_and_maintenance/how_to01.shtml#01

Much better tools.

hmmm...weird, I've had the same motion pro chain breaker for probably at least three years now and no problems.

Good info though I didn't realize that Regina made chain tools too.

I have the RK Chain Breaker/Rivet Tool also, which works great.

That particular MP tool is more for the occasional user. There was talk of them improving it. The whole problem was that the pin would buckle within the tool under pressure.

The Reginas are professional grade shop tools, and don't cost that much more. IIRC, the RK tool isn't bad either.

On the positive, my old MP tool makes a nice master link press. :excuseme: