'klunk' sound from rear linkage when weight off

When I hoist the bike up onto the stand or remove all weight from the rear it makes a bad sound. Kind of a 'your linkage bearings are shot and have free play' sound. Not positive it's coming from the linkage but from the amount of posts this area seems to be problematic in these bikes. 06WR450, have never checked or greased or really paid that much attention to the rear of the bike (unless it's trying to pass me in the air).

I'll pull it apart and check, but if the bearings are goners are the bearing replacement kits sold by MSR a good solution? Does Yamaha or any aftermarket company sell a complete rear linkage to just replace it with?

Any insights appreciated.

If it's any consolation, my '08 WR450F has made that clunk from new.

I checked it out as closely as I could and I couldn't tell where it was coming from.

I suspect an overly soft top-out spring (mechanism) in the shock or something.

I've stopped worrying about it!

If/when I need to replace bearings I'll be trying my local bearing shop before buying any special kits. They will be a lot cheaper.

Greg

I'll pull it apart and check, but if the bearings are goners are the bearing replacement kits sold by MSR a good solution? Does Yamaha or any aftermarket company sell a complete rear linkage to just replace it with?

The last time I purchased a set of linkage bearings from MSR (and All Balls as well) they were crappy chinese junk. Choke down the cash and buy replacement bearings from Yamaha.