HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ewilly

2008 yz450f Flywheel

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone have suggestions for a weighted flywheel source or modifications. And if you have tried doing this did it help on an '08 for trail riding and less stalling? If you have a part that you don't need but have tried and are willing to sell let me know also!!!

THX

Ditto on the 50-50...I have one on my 06 and tamed it way down. Rides like the WR now, less stalling and more traction:applause:

The GYT-R 'wheel comes in two weights; the above mentioned ...50-50, which is 9.2 ounces over stock, and the lighter GYT-2S297-50-00, which adds 4.8. IMO, don't bother with the lighter one. I first went that route with an '03 that I had, and it could barely be noticed. I put the GYT-2S297-50-50 on my '06, and have found it to smooth out the power flow at low RPM very nicely. In spite of what you might believe, it did NOT make the bike noticeably slower in any way, just improved traction and tractability. IMO, it should have come with it.

I've got the larger one, on my 06. It's much more predictable now, especially coming out of slippery corners, and also doesn't stall as easily. Or maybe my hamfoot is getting more used to the rear brake.

I put the 9 or 10oz (can't remember exactly) Steahly on my '07, and now its on my '08.

Makes a big difference. Hooks up better, doesn't stall as easy. Doesn't kill the power or slow the bike down at all.

The GYT flywheels come from Steahly. You'll probably get it faster from Steahly than Yamaha.

I got mine from Yamaha in 3 days. Are you sure that Yamaha GYTR sells Stealhy? It didn't say anything on the flywheel or the packaging that it was Stealhy.

It is possible. Most of the GYT-R line is purchased from aftermarket vendors. Even so, they are often less expensive that the same part purchased from those who made them. And example of that is the clutch hardware, which is Hinson, yet costs less than Hinson when sold under the GYT-R label.