HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sarkmych

Sprocket and chain decisions

8 posts in this topic

I am looking for opinions on the Primary Drive sprocket and chain kits. I want to replace the stock ones on my 07 WR450F but aren't sure of which one to get. Should I get O-ring or X-ring chain? Steel or alloy sprockets??

i would go with a good quality chain but you will be fine with primary drive steel sprokets. i have over 4000 miles on a this set up and they all look great

Agree on the PD sprockets. They weigh a ton, but last forever. BTW, the PD chains are pretty good too - again heavier than the japanese stuff, but hold up just as well and are far cheaper.

Thanks for the replies, one question though, X or O ring?? I heard that the X-Ring is the next generation of chain. As good as O-ring?

Primary Drive sprockets are very heavy but will last very long like any other steel sprocket. Personally I think it's worth the couple extra bucks to get the Sunstar steel sprocket that is significantly lighter than the PD. Less unsprung weight, less rotating mass, less power loss, blah blah blah...not sure if I can tell the difference but what the hell :thumbsup:

Are you riding MX or trails/cross country ? For MX, I'd stick with a NAME BRAND roller chain...DID 520ERT is hard to beat...520MX if you encounter lots of mud. Trail/cross country stuff I'd, again, stick with a name brand chain DID 520VM, EK 520SRX. The quality of chain dictates how long your sprockets will last. Buy a crappy chain and even the good sprockets go away fast, as the chain stretches.

I've had both x and o-ring primary drive chains, and got the same wear longevity from both. I like both products, just couldn't tell much of a difference.

For the price, the steel sprockets are great.