hotcams

has anyone put hotcams in there 2008 yz450f? i rode my friends 2004 yz450f the other day and i hate to say it but that motor is way better. my 08 handles and corners better but now i'm looking for a little more power. is it best to put both ex and in cams in or would just one work? i already have a wiseco hi-comp top end but didn't do much. i used a hotcam in my honda 450 years ago and is was a bastard to start. would the yz be hard to start too? thanks

I believe if you were to buy one of them, the intake would be the better one to buy but IDK if hotcams has a different cam for the 08's yet:excuseme: . If you're running the stock exhaust, ditch that and put just about any aftermarket pipe on it, and it will defiantely give you a boost in power.

you have better brakes then the 04 and suspension.

you want to feel scared, brake later going into corners. you should have no problem taking your friend out.

you have all the power you need, like stated above get an exhaust system if you don't have one.

the 04 is a "fun factor" bike in that the power explodes when you twist the wrist.

The 08 cam profile is almost the same as the hotcams. Look on their website and you will notice that they don't offer any cams for the 08 YZ450F even though their 03-07 cams will fit right in. This is because they weren't getting any gain running their 03-07 profile over the 08 stock profile. Yamaha gave the 08 a more aggressive profile to try to counter act the crappy exhaust they put on it. The 08 is faster than the 04, especially with an aftermarket exhaust on it. It is much smoother than the 04 though, so it feels as though it is slower.

The 08 is faster than the 04, ... It is much smoother than the 04 though, so it feels as though it is slower.
It's a classic example of how wrong your "butt dyno" can be. When the '06 came out, everyone said the same thing; "It's too mellow. The '03-'04 or the CRF is way more powerful". I thought the same thing when I got my first one, but then I ran my '03 against it on pavement. They were dead even through 3rd gear, and then the '06 started pulling ahead.

But the YZ450 is not about the thrill of managing a barely controllable beast. It's about low lap times, and I'll guarantee you that 90% of everyone will turn quicker laps with an '08 engine than one like an '04.

If you really still think you need more, you should contact Ron Hamp at Ron Hamp Cycle. Have him bore your carb and work up the head a little.

Exactly what Gray and KJ are saying. If this were drag racing, it would be a different story but it's motocross and it has taken some time, but it seems the industry is learning that smoother is better, what good is power that doesn't drive you forward anyways, not to mention, tires you out faster during a moto. If i was the owner of an 08, the most i would do is change the stock pipe. I ride an 08 450 SXF, probably the best stock motor out there by everyones opinion, but i still bought a G2 throttle cam system for when i am riding hard packed, and what a difference it made just taming the beast a little bit, i am noticeably faster and more comfortable around the track now just because the motor is actually putting useable power to the ground, i have a more efficient bike.

If this were drag racing, it would be a different
It wasn't different when I ran the '03 against the '06. It wasn't what anyone expected to see, but "slower, mellower" bike won, and the "brutal, explosive beast" lost.
where can i get the cam durations for the stock cams? what if i put the 2003 or 2004 cams in my 2008 would they work? my 2008 has a wiseco 13.1 piston and the carb has been modified but still dont have the grunt as the 2004 what did yamaha change?
You aren't getting it.

The cams will fit, but the results won't be what you think. The '08 cams are more aggressive than the '04, and the '08 produces about 4 more HP on top because of it. The "grunt" was controlled in the '06-7 models by the ignition map in the CDI. This is also true of the '08, but the '08 US model is further hamper by the exhaust system it comes with. Without adding any significant improvement at the power peak, a decent exhaust system can add as much as 5-7 HP in the 5000-6000 RPM range, making it quite a bit like an '06 with more top end. Even so, the bike will not be as explosive as an '04 was, and that's a good thing. You can focus on corner speed, on entry and exit, and not have to live in fear of your own throttle.

Races are won in the corners. I have passed people on the straights in MX, and I've been passed on them, but I can only think of a very small number of times when it had anything whatever to do with horsepower either way.

i think i will try the 04 CDI on my 08 and see if it changes the power delivery. the flywheel may be heavier on the 06-08 models than the 03-05 ones.

You are only going to make the bike slower by trying to put parts from an 04 on your 08. The 08 puts out much more power than the 04, period. An 08 will blow an 04 away in a drag race, it just feels smooth while doing so.

i think i will try the 04 CDI on my 08 and see if it changes the power delivery. the flywheel may be heavier on the 06-08 models than the 03-05 ones.
The flywheel on the '06 is smaller than the gas cap is. I used the heaviest GYT-R flywheel offered on mine, and it's not one wit slower than it was.

I doubt the '04 CDI will fit the harness, but even if it does, you are wasting your time.

Races are won in the corners. I have passed people on the straights in MX, and I've been passed on them, but I can only think of a very small number of times when it had anything whatever to do with horsepower either way.

Nothing in this thread could be more true! ?

And to the creator of this thread, please do not waste your time going into your engine and swapping out parts with an 04's. There is a reason why your bike is the way it is, some say it has something to do with 4 extra years of development? :worthy: If you want gains that wont ruin the characteristics of your bike, just swap out that exhaust, many on this forum have had good things to say about the DRD system. I should mention though, that any exhaust will be better than the stocker.

thanks grey.. im more the satisified with the power output on my 07.. just curious on weather or not when i think about adding some more grunt that maybe the 08 cam would be a good choice..

if you want more grunt, go ride a 250f for a couple laps and really hammer on it.

then hop back on your 450 and try to ride it like you rode the 250f...

you will be grunting a lot.