Can you have a temporary fok seal leak?

Hey guys, yesterday I noticed that my left fork seal had some oil that was dripping down the lower fork tube. (like a normal fork seal leak). I raced yesterday, so before my bike every hit the track I cleaned both seals with a "seal mate" to get any dirt or whatever was in there out. After moto 1, no leakes or anything. After moto 2, didn't notice anyting either. It was when I got home and my bike had been loaded in my truck, that I noticeed that it had a leak. I use a fork support, so there wasnt really any pressure on the forks. However, my younger brother had jumped up and sat on my bike when it was fully tied down, so could that have cause a little blurp of oil to come out. I have fork bleeders and bleed them constantly too. (when the tire is off the ground). I cleaned the oil off the tube and I sat on the bike and moved the front suspension up and down a few times, and it seems as if the leak was gone. Can this happen? Any advice would greatly be appreciated...thanks!?:worthy:

Yes, it can happen. Sometimes a tiny piece of debris keeps the seal lifted which allows fluid out. More often than not, with my luck, this temporary stoppage is a precursor to the grand daddy of all leaks, but once in a blue moon the leak stops forever with a business card or dollar bill or old roll of film being run under the seal.

Yes.... Sounds like it's time for bushings. Loading the bike in the back of the truck and pulling on the bars with the straps actually cause the fork to flex and with worn bushings it is enought to cause the oil to weep past the seal if it is a little worn and the bushings are worn...

Just a thought.

It could have loose bushings, but it's an '06, so it's more likely just a leaky seal. Try the trick of pulling down the dust seal and running around the fork tube with a piece of film or a business card under the lip of the oil seal.

The '06 and later seals are a low drag design, and it just may be that it's time for a new pair.

I'll try using the seal mate (same things as a piece of film) again now that everything is clean... I do this rather frequently. But how fast would oil start leaking out again? I mean, should I just compress the forks a few times and check? or ride it for a few minuts and check? I mean I don't want to actually "ride" it if its low on oil but you guys get what I mean lol...thanks for the help!

If you don't eliminate the cause of the leak, it should start leaking right away. The trouble may be that the seals are just worn/weak enough that they can no longer tolerate any dirt getting at them, in which case, you'll need new ones.

Something that helps is putting a bead of grease between the oil seal and the dust seal as an interceptor of sorts.

If you don't eliminate the cause of the leak, it should start leaking right away. The trouble may be that the seals are just worn/weak enough that they can no longer tolerate any dirt getting at them, in which case, you'll need new ones.

Something that helps is putting a bead of grease between the oil seal and the dust seal as an interceptor of sorts.

Okay thanks gray!?

yep, I like the old film negative idea, some (age) may not even know what that is:confused: If they haven't been serviced in awhile, it may behoove you to replace and do your fluid anyway. I did my son's CR as his were beyond the film trick, new fluid, etc., what a difference just putting new fluid made!!!

yep, I like the old film negative idea, some (age) may not even know what that is:confused: If they haven't been serviced in awhile, it may behoove you to replace and do your fluid anyway. I did my son's CR as his were beyond the film trick, new fluid, etc., what a difference just putting new fluid made!!!

Ya I think I might just end up doing that. It's the start of the next series of races here so that prolly a good idea to do anyway ?

Along the same lines,

My bike has been sitting for a while, couple months, and I noticed that one fork was leaking. It is in a big metal shop that gets very hot in the summer. I bled them and a TON of air came out. Could this air cause oil to leak?

Thanks

Toby

A tearoff works even better than the film, I wouldn't worry about your fork oil level unless it left a huge puddle under it. A little bit of fork oil can look like alot on the floor. Good luck.

Well it wasn't on the floor yet...it was just on the lower fork tube going down to the brake caliper...