HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hillclimb426

clutch bearing removal

3 posts in this topic

i have a 00'426 i am rebuilding.i have all the bearings out except the oneon the left crankcase half where the clutch mechanism is.how do i remove this bearing since you cant press it out?

get a bearing puller in there - the black part will hook under the inner chase and expand, then use the slider to reverse hammer it out.

040210252.jpg

You can also get ones that have an end piece with a lip on one side - you slide it in, hook it under and wedge it in place with a shim or flat head before using the hammer handle.

Heating the case helps a lot, too. It has to be done carefully, though, and the best way is to use an oven set at 250 degrees F. Heat the case for 10-15 minutes at that temperature, and the bearing will be much more cooperative.