Front and rear wheel axles

Firstly sorry i have tried to search for the information but cant find what i need.

I bought my WR400 a week ago and the guy i bought it from said the steering and front wheel bearings were naffed.Ive looked at the steering bearings and he was right so theyre getting done.

Ive moved the front wheel from side to side and there is a very small amount of play,does anyone know if its only a little bit will it be ok for an mot? (It doesnt run rough when i spin the wheel round)

The other question is how do the wheel axles come out?

I can see the front axle has a nut at one side and a hex connector on the other side,is the axle threaded into the hub so i need to get a special hex fitment which is 19mm to remove it? Or can the axle just be whacked out?

The rear axle has a nut at one side but nothing other than the wheel aligner on the other side,do i just undo the nut then whack the axle out?

Thanks

ya just punch it out, on the front, 1st undo the large nut, then loosen the 2 10mm bolts at the bottom of each fork leg, then tap the axle bolt out, use something soft as not to damage threads(piece of wood). For the back, take nut off, push axle in about an inch take adjusment block off, on the other side pull the adjustment block back toward the head of the axle then push wheel forward this will give you enough slack in the chain to get it off the sprocket without loosening the axle adjuster, then pull or punch shaft the rest of the way out.

Thanks for the that!

So the axles basically punch out thats just what i needed to know,i just thought id ask before hitting and damaging them.

I just remember on a kdx i used to have the front axle screwed into one of the front forks so wasnt sure about on a wr.

So does anyone know how much play in a wheel bearing classes as an mot fail? As i say it turns ok but theres a very small amount of play when shaking the wheel from side to side

So does anyone know how much play in a wheel bearing classes as an mot fail? As i say it turns ok but theres a very small amount of play when shaking the wheel from side to side

It sounds like it could be a problem for the MOT but then again it depends on who is doing the test and how thorough they are :thumbsup:

Doing the wheel bearings is a relatively quick job with the right tools, buy yourself a bearing removal tool with slide hammer, get those bearings out and take them to a bearing shop and swap for identical items (cheaper then buying WR designated bearings). The removal and install should only take a few minutes.

Then the question of whether its an MOT fail is no longer relevant and you don't have to worry about replacing them in the future :worthy:

Yep youre right its just worth replacing them,i already bought some for £8 so i might aswell put them in i guess!

Im too tight to pay for a bearing puller ill use a punch to tap them out,save my money to spend on the bike :worthy:

1st undo the large nut, then loosen the 2 10mm bolts at the bottom of each fork leg

The nut is clamped by the right fork leg so I find it's easier to loosen the right bolts before trying to remove the nut.

Thanks well ive been on holiday so ill take a look at the wheel bearing tomorrow when ive had a sleep im knackered! :thumbsup: