Just bought it, have question!!

Hey everyone, i just bought a 2001 WR426 and am new to the site. The bike is in overall good shape but I have one question I hope someone can help me with. You know the sound a bike makes if it is running and u push down the kick starter? Well the bike makes that noise with the kick started in its normal "rest" postion after I start it. Is this just the spring worn out and starting to give when it should be holding it upright because no one can seem to learn how to start these things and its just been kicked to hell? Any help is great! thankyou

Yep, it sounds like the starter cog isn't disengaging. Yank the cover and check the mechanism. Double check for any loose or boken pieces in the bottom of the case too.

I have an spare kickstarter gear and pawl if you need one.

Keep in mind that the smallest chip in the kickstarter or idler gear will make the motor rattle like crazy. Make sure the teeth are intact and clean.

I know exactly what this is... there is a "kick shaft stop" that keeps the kickshaft from ruining the case when the bike "kicks back" upon trying to start.

Tell me this - With the bike running and the kick start in the resting position (you should be hearing the noise), can you rotate the kick starter slightly (like an 1/8" to 1/4") back in the direction it would travel if you were starting the bike. Does the sound go away?

If it does than you have smashed or split the kick shaft stop allowing the kick shaft to rotate just slightly to forward when it returns... good news is, is that it is a really cheap part and not too hard to fix at all. It happened to me on my 400 and I bought two of these stops cause they only cost like $4, I never used the extra one I bought and then a couple months ago I read another post from a guy with the same issue... I sent him the part and it fixed his problem:thumbsup:

This happens when the bike kicks back really hard... the kick shaft hits this little stainless steel stop and smashes or splits it then the kick shaft is allowed to rotate back too far forward and you get the same noise as if you were pushing the kick starter down with the bike running.

cool, thanks alot everyone. since I just got the bike I am in the "strip it down and clean it" stage. tomm. I plan on draining the oil and the radiator and then taking it apart and looking at the problem. And just as a side note, how do I get the spark plug out with it being down so deep. is there a special tool or will a deep socket on an extension work? if so what size. Thanks again!

cool, thanks alot everyone. since I just got the bike I am in the "strip it down and clean it" stage. tomm. I plan on draining the oil and the radiator and then taking it apart and looking at the problem. And just as a side note, how do I get the spark plug out with it being down so deep. is there a special tool or will a deep socket on an extension work? if so what size. Thanks again!

As far as I know you will need the plug wrench that came with the bike or maybe a sparkplug socket with a universal and 3" extension might work, you need it to fold in the middle to clear the frame in getting it in and out.

While it's running try that test I described in my first post. That will definitely identify the kickshaft stop as the problem:prof: ... do you have a shop manual? If not, do search in this forum and you should find links as to where you can down load them for free

• 5 months later...
As far as I know you will need the plug wrench that came with the bike or maybe a sparkplug socket with a universal and 3" extension might work, you need it to fold in the middle to clear the frame in getting it in and out.

While it's running try that test I described in my first post. That will definitely identify the kickshaft stop as the problem:prof: ... do you have a shop manual? If not, do search in this forum and you should find links as to where you can down load them for free

I had a buddy that had the same problem with his old cr . Did the same thing you described.

Austin