top end

I'm really contemplating a new top end in my 450. I have around 80 hrs on it and wanted to get some opinions. What all should I replace? besides piston and rings. Should I replace valves and so on? cams? there is lots of parts there and I would like to purchase all of hem before I start the project....but then again this could get expansive!!!!!! What should I do?

...but then again this could get expansive!!!!!!
It could not only be big, it could be expensive, too. ( ? sorry)

If you have never had to adjust your valves either since it was new, or since the first adjustment early on, and they are still in spec, they don't need replacement. At 80 hours, anything other than a pro race bike probably only needs rings, if that.

It could not only be big, it could be expensive, too. ( :worthy: sorry)

If you have never had to adjust your valves either since it was new, or since the first adjustment early on, and they are still in spec, they don't need replacement. At 80 hours, anything other than a pro race bike probably only needs rings, if that.

I just recently had to adjust my intake valves, but they have been tight since I bought the bike. I only moved 1 pad size smaller. And I think that 1 may have to go back to normal. I know these bikes make noises(I've had 3 yami 450's) and such, but I get a weird high rpm noise that makes me concerned. I have had that sound for a very long time and it worries me ? . So I just figure thats the next place to go. I've checked everywhere else. Should I just tear it down and check it out? What can I do for the carbon build up? It's comforting to hear that I shouldn't have to spend butt loads of cash......

if it ain't broke don't fix it...

+1. I got 110 on mine and it only needed one valve adjustment. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get at least 160 hours. And yes, if you decide to do the "whole" top end it'll get very expensive very fast.

I just recently had to adjust my intake valves, but they have been tight since I bought the bike. I only moved 1 pad size smaller. And I think that 1 may have to go back to normal. I know these bikes make noises(I've had 3 yami 450's) and such, but I get a weird high rpm noise that makes me concerned. I have had that sound for a very long time and it worries me :worthy: . So I just figure thats the next place to go. I've checked everywhere else. Should I just tear it down and check it out? What can I do for the carbon build up? It's comforting to hear that I shouldn't have to spend butt loads of cash......

get a timing chain, piston and rings and a head and base gasket....$150 for the piston and rings, 25 for the chain, $45 for the head and base gasket (think you can get a top end kit cheap that will come with a exhaust gasket).?

Timing chain and a tensioner is a good idea, and the chain is actually less than $25. There's no real reason to replace the buckets in a YZ unless they are worn or damaged. They don't fail at random as with some other bikes. Neither do the valve springs, but they are so cheap (< $40/set) that it almost doesn't make sense not to change them.

I really doubt it needs a piston, though.