HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dougie

Good New on Rampart...So Far

15 posts in this topic

Rampart so far has survived. While it appears the fire is burning on the very south end of Rampart Range, it does not appear to be moving through the heart as first predicted. The winds have changed again and is pushing the fire back into itself. I believe the fire is spreading out E and W but not N. Cross your fingers guys. The news predicts wind patterns for the next couple of days to come from the NE. It is going South from the Metro area. That would be great for saving Rampart.

I heard on the radio this morning that they think the fire was started by drunk atv riders. This is going to hurt motorcycle riders as well if true.

I don't think the general public knows the difference between bikes and atv's.

:)

KC

it doesnt matter really. hell, it couldve been hippies doing it and blaming drunk atv riders.who knows.

MSN says it was started by a "long smoldering underground coal fire" that finally made it to the surface. Unless that was another fire, there are so many here now.

this sucks. i was planning on taking my lil one out to the same places that mydad used to take me to.rampart, eagle, nichols. damn.

Originally posted by Dan Lawrence:

MSN says it was started by a "long smoldering underground coal fire" that finally made it to the surface. Unless that was another fire, there are so many here now.

That is another fire, the Coal Seam fire. The Hayman fire is the one threatening Rampart, and is said to have been started by an illegal campfire near a lake. I ain't from around there so I forget which lake...

Anyway I also read that a Ranger came upon the fire just after it started but could not contain it. I imagine that is why they know the source...

Originally posted by Hick:

T

Anyway I also read that a Ranger came upon the fire just after it started but could not contain it. I imagine that is why they know the source...

The ranger found the fire when it was a 20'X 20' baby. She was also able to get the license number of the vehicle as it left.

Where'd you guys see the "drunk atv'ers" reference? The info above came from www.9news.com

BTW, with the fire spreading east, it's burning the Divide/Woodland Park area, including the area where the last 5 Pikes Peak Enduros were held and, MY favorite riding area. I hope they draw and quarter the b**st*rd(s) that are responsible. I've spent 15 years riding and putting on enduros up there. This breaks my friggin' heart...

Merf

[ June 12, 2002: Message edited by: Merfman ]

The atv report was just something I heard on the radio. They do have a license plate# and a vehicle description. Why can't people be a little more responsible. It's obvious to anyone with half a brain how dry it is in the mountains here.

I hope they catch whoever started it and hang em by their hackysacs. :)

KC

Cool maps dude.

If there is a god, he will save the Sprucewood!

Otherwise, Rampart is just a dusty, whooped out, two-way traffic death trap.

However, with the Sprucewood, it's a dusty, whooped out, two-way traffic death trap WITH A BAR! And you can't beat that!

BTW - Most people know the Coal Seam Fire got it's name from the underground coal seam that started it. Most people don't know however -

The Hayman fire was named because as the truck sped by the bystanding forest ranger he shouted -

:) "Hay Man - Did You Start That Fire!" :D

Originally posted by JKC:

Cool maps dude.

If there is a god, he will save the Sprucewood!

Otherwise, Rampart is just a dusty, whooped out, two-way traffic death trap.

That’s pretty funny!

I wouldn’t call Rampart whooped out by any means, but then I normally ride in the sand. I also like the Sprucewood. I lay off the beer when I’m riding, but I did enjoy their cheeseburgers.

Riding Rampart on a busy weekend had me scared (“you go ahead,” “No, after you!”, “No, I insist…), but when I was there last fourth of July weekend I didn’t see as much traffic as I thought I would. Trout Creek was my favorite trail. I love that place and hope it opens again soon.

BTW you should probably capitalize His name, better safe than sorry I always say :)

Geez, I totally forgot about The Sprucewood. Oh man that would blow. Where else can you ride up to the door, have a beer (only one mind you because I agree Rampart can be a two way death trap) and get back on your bike and ride another 20 miles back to the truck (unless you parked behind the Sprucewood. Which would be the smart thing to do as you could drink all you want after riding).

The Coal Seam fire is the one burning near Glenwood Springs-natural fire, no one to blame. The Hayman Fire (near Rampart) was started (so they believe) by an out of control, illegal campfire near Lake George (that's a town). The ranger got a license plate # of someone leaving the scene where an illegal fire was and when they got back to the fire it was too large to contain. I don't think it had anything to do with ATVs, bikes, etc... As for now I think Rampart is still surviving, but I'm sure it'll be a while before Pike Nat'l forest is open to the public for anything...