How do you fix a stripped spoke nipple?

Just was wondering how or if you can fix a stripped wheel nipple? I just realized that one of mine might be stripped (dont even know how that happened,,,think it was the shop:foul: ) I'm gonna order some new ones from RAD MFG. Any info would be greatly appreciated:worthy: :thumbsup:

You mean a spoke nipple? You replace the spoke.

You mean a spoke nipple? You replace the spoke.

O really...I thought for sure I was gonna have to order a new nipple but if thats the case, I got some extra spokes lying around here. Thanks Gray!:busted::worthy::thumbsup:

You'll need the nipple, too if the spokes don't come with them. And it depends what you mean by "stripped". The spoke may be OK, but if the nipple won't come off, and/or the spoke threads are damaged at all, you'll need a new one.

You'll need the nipple, too if the spokes don't come with them. And it depends what you mean by "stripped". The spoke may be OK, but if the nipple won't come off, and/or the spoke threads are damaged at all, you'll need a new one.

Well, the spoke won't tighten...it just spins inside the nipple. So IDK if it's the nippple that is stripped or the spoke that is stripped. :thumbsup: Also, are nipples supposed to move around "wiggle around"? Because mine seems to be able to move into several different position on the wheel...

Well, the spoke won't tighten...it just spins inside the nipple. So IDK if it's the nippple that is stripped or the spoke that is stripped. :thumbsup: Also, are nipples supposed to move around "wiggle around"? Because mine seems to be able to move into several different position on the wheel...

Hmm never heard of that, once your spokes are tightened they should stay in the middle right where they should be.

Hmm never heard of that, once your spokes are tightened they should stay in the middle right where they should be.

The spoke nipples move when they are loose, not when tight...I'm assumming that this is normalright? I bought these wheels completely set up, and I have never fully laced a wheel, before so this is new stuff for me :thumbsup:

The holes in the rim are a little bigger than the nipple, and the load bearing faces of the hole and nipple are semi-spherical ti allow the spoke to pull up at a slight angle without being bent at the end, so some movement is normal.

It dosen't move that much...just a little like you said. I tried using another spoke, and it did the same thing again. I guess it is the nipple, so Im gonna order a new one tommorrow.:thumbsup:

the spoke and nipple can get damaged by hard landing hitting logs trees or pour maintenance; very small threads and not many of them.

I am no mechanic but I relaced my front and back rim, It is easy. After the first ride every spoke was loose. I had to retrue the rim. I check them every second ride or so. they have been good since that first time they all got loose.

I just lost a front spoke on my 05, but finding a place to buy them indiviually is a pain. I used East Coast wheel and they were great to deal with. They treated my $12.00 order like I was a supplier. Great people to deal with.